• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear coil vs. leafs question

Gold Digger

NAXJA Forum User
I want to do a rear coil conversion on my '90 XJ. Is it worth doing or should I do chevy half ton springs? or keep the leafs all together?

What are the pros and cons for the people that've done this conversion?

from the people ive talked to who have done a rear coil conversion...

they say on the trail its money, performs very well. but without the addition of a swaybar you loose a lot of your streetability and towing capacity. if your rig is mainly DD or weekend warrior... keep the leafs.

It's DD, the 2 kits I've been looking at I believe they say you can use your swaybar

im simply not impressed with how there stuff works, ive seen first hand there stuff get spanked by leaf/coiled xj's

Awsome, Thanks for the insight. I need to call them and see if the cross member will work with what I have now.

I linked the rear of my junk. Great on the street, but I wouldn't link the back of full bodied junk. Lots of money, lots of effort, and I don't think it'll add any capability to a full bodied rig.

alot, on xj's, zj's yj's and tj's there stuff simply works

im simply not impressed with how there stuff works, ive seen first hand there stuff get spanked by leaf/coiled xj's

Any reason why you think the performance is different? I'm very happy with the performance of my Rock Krawler 3 link front. Are you comparing Rock Krawler rear coil conversions with Clayton conversions or with Clayton's in generl? I mean ZJs, TJs, and YJs have very little to do with comparing XJ rear coil conversions.

I was going to do a 4 link in the rear but in the mean time went with the HD Offroad shackle hangars. I have been so impressed with my rear flex I am not going to link the rear. Here is a video that shows the flex. My jeep has changed since then but the rear setup has not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or3JPW6KCSA
nice wheel hop
Any reason why you think the performance is different? I'm very happy with the performance of my Rock Krawler 3 link front. Are you comparing Rock Krawler rear coil conversions with Clayton conversions or with Clayton's in generl? I mean ZJs, TJs, and YJs have very little to do with comparing XJ rear coil conversions.
i was talking rear, and i was orignally comparing 2 xjs with rock krawler rear coil convertion to another with bolt on full traction unmodified, i was also pointing out that ive seen claytons stuff on other rigs and it works great too

How long is the install time for either kit??? Keep in mind I'm going to have a friend weld for me since I can't (yet).

This wil be a fun install. I hope I can do it before december though

The Rock Krawler isnt bad at all to install. Do you have frame stiffeners if you do put them on first and weld the Rock Krawler brackets to them. In my opinion that the best way to do it.

No but I am in the market for those as well

Back