• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Left turn DW

bdahlg

NAXJA Forum User
91 xj 4.0 4.5" rc short arms, 32" bfg all terrains, 4"bs soft

I have looked through nearly every DW thread, can't find anything.
I understand what the possible causes are, but need help in narrowing it down.

I am getting some serious DW when ONLY making left turns and hitting a bump with my front driver's side wheel. Only happens at 35-45mph, nothing above that speed, but minor wobbles below. Doesn't do it with the passenger side. Does not do it while im turning right at those speeds at all, even when I hit a bump with the drivers tire.
Loves to do it on left turns and hitting sewer drains, shaking violently until I slow down to about 20. But again, not on right turns at all

I recently replaced ball joints (spicer) all around and it has gotten worse. Stabilizer is leaking like crazy, but it is my understanding that it is just a bandaid. Trac bar is tight at the frame and axle, visaually I have inspected everything under there.

I just want for your input on narrowing down possible causes to this so I can get this fixed as it scares the living sh*t outta me and my passengers.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I know you said your trac bar was tight but I would ask someone you know to look at it while you turn the steering wheel from side to side with the vehicle parked. I have the RE trac bar and my bolts are tight but there is still a little play in it. It may also be a bad trac bar bushing. That's just my thoughts.

I tightened the frame side of teh trac bar with a 24" breaker bar and the axle side is set at 75ft/lbs prob more. The bushing on the axle side does have some cracks in it but its probablyt from over tightening. If it was the trac bar, wouldn't it wobble all the time? That's my logic.

Have not checked the unit bearing... I just had it off to do the balljoints and it looked and spun like the passenger side. No movement when i yank on the tire.

Just had someone turn the wheel with me underneath. The trac bar ball joint at the bracket has play in it. Is it supposed to? Whole new trac bar needed? Most likely the cause...but still confused on the whole one side thing. More input is welcome!

Definitely the TRE on the trac bar bracket. The TRE moved up when my buddy turned the wheel left, but doesnt move when turning right. Hopefully this will fix my DW for good so I don't freak out everytime I drive.

For the new trac bar, I'm thinkin of RE1600 due to the bad reviews I've heard on Rough Country...

glad to see you got it figured out, the turn ing the wheel really helps. whatever you get, if you're gonna replace it, do it once, get a double shear bracket too.

Go with the RE 1660 trackbar and bracket,then you can opt for the additional brace(its an excellent investment).

Second the 1660. Cured most of my DW problems. You also need to check your tre's for play. All new ball joints, tre's, trackbar, and good tight hubs usually takes care of any dw.

Wouldn't I need a drop pitman also to go along with the drop bracket with the 1660? That's why I'm opting for the 1600 so I don't have to do the drop braket and pitman arm (which is probably why the TRE on the bracket busted in the first placel, too much stress with angles at flex).

The bracket does not drop the mount point for the track bar. It's just significantly stronger and has the ability to mount a track bar brace. It also eliminates the TRE and replaces it with a superflex joint. No need for drop pitmans. Very few XJs will run them anyways.

Put in RE1600, torqued it up, still wobbles like before, scaring the sh*t outta me, but steering is A LOT tighter and my axle is finally centered so it wasn't a waste. Still hunting this down.

While looking deeper, I found that I could move the draglink to roll up and down rather easily, say a 3/8" drive on the stabilizer nut piston end.
Seems pretty pronounced to me. Is this supposed to happen this easily? I would assume there would be some roll to it, but not this much or this easily.

If my TRE's are busted (a total of 4?), what are my options for steering? I say this because the draglink end on the passenger knuckle is not replaceable. Any suggestions?

im having the same exact problems as you right now. I have a rock krawler track bar waiting at home that I am going to put on this weekend. Ill let you know if it solves the problem. While I was waiting for the track bar I replaced all my TREs, did a quick alignment check, checked for cracks in the frame, checked to see if my steering box was tight, etc etc. The only thing left was the track bar which I knew was bad before all this

...I replaced all my TREs

Did this help any? I'm guessing it didn't since you're about to put in the tracbar, which definitely tightened up my steering, but did jack for the wobble.

Im beginning to think my hub is bad on that side. How would I go about testing the hub?

i have a recommendation for a really beefy trace bar it normally comes with heims but you can order it with bushings i would order it from froehlich suspension technology. Hes actually a sponsor of naxja and hes out of the northwest chapter.

If it is only happening in one direction you might want to check the axle U-joints. If they are dry and binding you can get a shake from them when turning. My 2000 XJ did this a low speed and drove me nuts until I really took a good look at it on my lift one weekend. I changed them both out with greasable units and its good as new now.

Ujoins are new both sides. That would cause it both directions anyway. its more of a pop-wobble, like a pop/clunk wobble. Maybe TRE on the pitman arm?

Can anyone tell me how to check to see if my wheel hub is OK? This is what I'm leaning towards...

Back