• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Factory Fog Lights Not working

Harrum

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry tried searching for this first... No luck.
Just picked up 2 new lights from a wrecker, replaced both bulbs and still not working. Ive also noticed the dash swich does not illuminate with the rest of the interior. What should i try next? New Switch? Fuse? If it is the fuse, anyone know which one it is? I never got a manual when I purchased the Jeep

Thanks

Check your fuses under the driver side dash. They should be labeled. I had to replace the relay under the hood near the driver side headlight

I didnt see any fuses or a panel under the drivers dash... only the passenger side kick panel

2000_fuse_box.jpg

Is it different for each generation of XJ?

Check the minifuses in the PDC- but if it doesn't light up with the interior lights, and the green indicator light doesn't work either, I'd suspect the switch itself. Simple matter to pull the bezel, switch panel, and check for power at the plug.

Oh you also mentioned to check the minifuses in the PDC.
images

Any particular fuse I should inspect? the diagram on the lid doesnt lable any little fuses as a fog light fuse. Only the 2 relays? Do both of these relays control the fog lights?

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/AHhub/forum stuff/2001PDC.jpg

From a 2000, but it's the same fuse position in my 97 Owner's manual, just numbered differently.

There are 2 relays in the fog light ckt, but I can't tell you exactly what they do- I wired mine up with a relay and OE switch- looks stock, but doesn't use any of the factory wiring except for the switch illumination and ground. The stock fog light wiring is anything but ideal, and apparently prone to cooking switches.

First, if your Cherokee did not come from the factory with the optional fog lamps installed, your Cherokee will be missing some of the required wire harness.

If you have factory original fog lamps, check the mini fuses in the PDC, one of them controls the fogs and illuminates the switch. Switch failure is common.

If you do not have factory installed fogs, you can use the factory switch, but you will need to install wires and a relay to power the fog lamps.

Yea what he said. They cook switches left and right. Especially if you like to use them as running lights... You can get the switch at auto zone via special VDP order for 31 bucks. the nice thing is they have lifetime warranties. so when i blow a switch every month or so i can get a free one =p. They get VERY hot for some reason.

Just checked mimi fuse and both relays. Fuse is still solid and the relays look fine. I am heading to Autozone now for a switch. From what everyone is telling me that seems to be the issue... Thanks for all the input.

My factory switch finally took a crap on me, I knew it was coming as I use them at night all the time and I've heard they blow easy. To those who have bought the ones from autozone, are they factory looking and pretty decent until they blow? Has anyone got them at Napa? I really don't even want to know what the dealership wants for one.

Not to thread jack, but I plan on using a factory switch for some offroad lights. Do they really blow that easily if you're using a relay and limiting the amperage going through the switch? Most 40 amp Bosch style relays can use less than 10 amps to activate.

The reason the stock switches blow is because the Chrysler engineers ran too much power through them. The only way to avoid torching a switch is to use the switch to activate a relay. The factory relays are for shutting off the fog lamps when you hit the high beams and are not about protecting the switch.

I hate to bump up a older thread but I am having the same issue.
Intent was to get rid of the ones under the bumper with some lights on the bumper. I have a 40a relay with all new wiring to ground and battery and to lights.
took one of the factory fogs that had blowed the inside out and clipped the wiring. POS is now going to be the "switch" and good ground.
all nice and pretty looking til i go plugging in the power and started to spark big time.
blew 3 of the fusable links before i stopped and got back online.
well after looking online i discovered that i found a tutorial and they had mislabeled the 85 and 86 (apparently you cant mix these up)
went to hook up the original fog and nothing there.
so i know its either a switch, fuse, relay or something. my wiring harness is correct now and bulbs in the new lights are working and i have a good ground.
i found the secret mystery 15a fuse under the hood and it was blown. I had a spare fog relay from one of my junkyard hunts (yes im hooked on snagging relays and fuses)

so other than going to a jeep junkyard this week im stumped.
im not a electrician but i do have a decent digital meter.

its a 2000 XJ

I know this is a really old thread, but didn't want to start a new one for such a basic issue.

I have a 99 that has factory fog light wiring/switch. Everything has been fine until today when it was really foggy out (go figure...). I like running the foglights fro extra visibility when you can only see about 4 cars in front of you.

Anyway, NO power to the switch. Fuses 3 and 4 inside the passenger fuse panel are good. 15 amp fuse under PDC is good. In fact, all fuses in the PDC are good. Switched AC clutch relay with fog light relay, still nothing.

I knew it wasn't the switch (since no power to switch), but I also disassembled it, cleaned and put back together.

Any other ideas?

Start checking for 12 volts and continuity to ground at the switch, the PDC relay and fuse, and at fog lamp wire plugs. Test the bulbs also.

Thanks for the suggestions! I was so hyper focused on a fuse or the switch, I more or less totally forgot about a possible ground issue :(

If a bulb was out, I'd still think there should be power to the switch, though. Who knows, I'll see what I can find and report back with any developments.

Back