• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smoked the 4.0 what will work

SmokenMini

NAXJA Forum User
Guys, I blew the 4.0 up last night. I need to know what will work in it. It is a 96' xj with a 98' 4.0HO in it. Do I need another 4.0HO or will a regular one work. How about one out of a YJ, TJ, or WJ? I was told that a 95' wouldnt work, any truth to this? Thanks for helping this noob get his junk back on the road and happie thxgivvin'

1996 and up is OBD-II, so you'll want a 4.0 from 1996 and later.

1996-1999-ish should work for you - later OBD-II variants (1999/2000-2007) have COP (Coil On Plug, or distributorless) ignition, and the earlier variants (1991-1995 are OBD-I, and 1987-1990 are RENIX) probably won't have the same sensors that you'd need.

What exactly "smoked" in your 4.0? May be eaiser just to fix the thing, by the time you're all done...

5-90

Couldn't this person use the block and head from the earlier XJ's, as well. Just switch over the accessories from their engine? Just wondering... don't know.

Back