• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pick a rear bumper

Gonepostal

NAXJA Forum User
OK I have narrowed down my search for a rear bumper and now I could really use some feedback. I am looking at two different bumpers the JCR Stage III or the Detours Slimline. Does anyone have experience with these bumpers? Good or Bad let's hear it.

out of the two, I personally like JCR's better. I have only seen JCR's in person. They both do look like great bumpers. Both companies are great people though. Detours is sometimes hard to get a hold of via web, so call if you go that route. Also, didn't read descriptions, but if you go either route, make sure they tie into the frame well enough for recovery purposes.

I have the Slimline. Mark at Detours does great work. The fit and finish is superb and I'm real happy with my rear bumper. I have pulled plenty heavy with the bumper and never had a problem. The tire carrier is solid, there are no rattles and it looks great. I have no experience with JCR so I cannot comment. The only thing about Detours is since they are built to order it will take a little while to get it.

If anyone has an alternate brand I am still in the shopping mode. These two are my prefered so far. I looked at AJ's and will probably be getting his PreRok front bumper. I just did not like the way his rear would have fit for my plans.

Thanks JakeWI and mflueras the suggestions are appreciated.

Not in a hurry just want to do it right so made to order is just fine if not prefered. At least it wont be a piece of bolt on Chinese junk!

I like the Detours myself. The tire carrier pivot doesn't block your reverse lights, the off center tire mount allows for better visibility out the back, frame tie-ins are inside the frame rails so they are hidden and don't interfere with skids or hitches, the lines are nice, and the workmanship is beautiful. They do take some time, but I think it was worth the wait.

I have the C-Rok bumper and tire carrier.
Tire carrier is a little obtrusive for my taste. Latch is a simple
large diameter pin. Tire carrier only swings out 90 deg from closed position.
In general this is a well designed product and it's very sturdy.

If you buy C-Rok make sure to round the quarter panel edges
before trying to slide it in place. Sharp edges removed my paint
pretty quick:farmer:

Mine was custom built by a fabricator locally. You could do this it is 16 different pieces.
IMG_0366-1.jpg

Sorry I haven't been able to jump back on the thread for a few days. I was up at our cabin enjoying some peace and quiet.

Anyone had any major mounting issues with any of these, beyond the usual scrapes and scratches?

Hey Thumbtack that is a nice clean bumper. Do you have a name and number?

Sorry I haven't been able to jump back on the thread for a few days. I was up at our cabin enjoying some peace and quiet.

Anyone had any major mounting issues with any of these, beyond the usual scrapes and scratches?

Hey Thumbtack that is a nice clean bumper. Do you have a name and number?

Yeah PM me and I will get you the info.

I'll vote for the JCR Stage III. This isn't to knock Detours' quality in any way, but having seen the JCR in action and the type of abuse it stood up to, I'm sold. It's on the list for next year's upgrades.

One thing I will add as a general comment: I dislike bumpers that mount the tyre carrier to the rear face of the bumper - it just seems like that's the most vulnerable location that could be chosen for it. Because of this, Custom 4x4 Fabrication, Detours, et. al. were pretty much immediately dropped from consideration.

One thing to consider if you are looking at Tire Carriers is the size and quality of the spindle setup. The ol' trailer spindle setup just doesn't cut it. Poly Bushings can't hold the weight and Heims are not a strong enough option either.

We recently switched ours to a new design that is unquestionable the strongest and high quality spindle on the market. The main spindle is machined billet steel, using larger timken roller bearings. You won't break this.

tubedoors.jpg

More info: http://www.jcroffroad.com/carrierspindle.html

Pretty cool when the manufacturer is willing to jump in and help answer questions without being solicited. Thanks JCR I really appreciate the input.

check out logan's metals rear bumper. they'll do dual rear swingaways for a bit more. (about $900 vs. $600 for a single swingaway)

http://logansmetals4x4.com/id8.html

It uses hiems, and mounts with 16 fasteners. (Orig. bumper and then via hitch bolts)

I have their front bumper. It's fastened by like 20 fasteners, braces my steering box, and is solid as a rock.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I had a JCR tire carried rear. I liked it. Solid, tough, my only complaint was that the mounting brackets didn't line up perfectly. It would've been an easy fix, but I never got around to it. I got rid of it only because for the direction I want to take my Jeep negated the tire carrier.

Hey JCR are you ever going to sell just the swingout spindle kit? Or only with the bumpers?

We have considered it, however we are taxing the supplier for enough for our bumpers being ordered. We are in the process of getting a very large order made, so at that point we will probably offer them. However, they are far from cheap! They would probably run around $110, which isn't far off our actual cost. :gag:

Back