• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5 RE Super flex ?

Almost certaintly. Late model XJs aren't very tolerant of steeper driveline angles. You may be able to get away with a transfer case drop, but then you're giving up ground clearance.

I would definitely go with an SYE and new rear shaft, you will have horrible driveline vibrations especially on highway if you don't. I've got a 3.5" on mine now and it was bad before I got the AA SYE w/ Tom Woods shaft, now it rides smooth like stock all day long.

for a cheap way to get out of buying a $300 DS, you should be able to use a front shaft form some cherokees. im using the front from a 98, since i got the 8.25 out of it too.

You can swap the transfercase output yoke from a YJ onto a slightly longer junkyard ds until you save your $$$ for a SYE and dbl cardan jointed ds.
The ears on the yoke have more clearance and decrease binding between the ds and yoke.
We did this setup on a friends '88 after installing a 5.5" lift.

Back