• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: D35/44 Drive Shaft U Joints

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping a Dana 44 (from an 88 XJ) in for the original 35 on my 89 XJ. It's just occurred to me that I may not have the right U joints.

Would the original Dana 35 use a Spicer 1310 U Joint, and if so, is that the same for the Dana 44?

And, if I wanted to install new U joints in the drive shaft double cardian Joint, are they both 1310's as well? Thanks for any advice.

Same U-joints... you're good to go.

1310s in all the driveshafts on the XJ, and 260s or 297s (or 760s if you want to upgrade) on all d30 axleshafts, depending on whether the vehicle came with ABS and what year it was made... except those funky rare ones with CV joints.

I just took a close look at the U joints on the drive shaft that I picked up from a bone yard (apparently from a 95 Cherokee). The U joints are greaseless type, Spicer 1310 (I think). The yoke end looked pretty ugly so I tried to punch it out - wow was it fused! I ended up taking a grinder to it and cutting it out by cutting off on both sides, then hammering out the bearing cups that were left over.

I picked up some replacements from a local auto supplier (of course, they didn't have the spicers) The body of the replacement is way less beefy than what I took out.

The one that came out looks like this one (at least it probably looked like this one when it was new - certainly didn’t look like this by the time I got it out :wow:):
1230498239_1310Series___SpicerMaintenanceFree_1310MFU-Joint.jpg

While the replacement (greasable) look more like this one:

1310UJOINT.jpg

The one pictured above is an actual Spicer, the replacement that I have is not - at least I don't think it is.

Seem to me the un greasable is a lot more solid; should I hold out and try to find the un-greasable type?

Thanks for any advice.

imgres

Back