• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MTR's or KM2's

MTR's.... everyone has has the KM2's.

MT/Rs definitely. Better overall performance, and road noise is better. I guess if you do not want to go with the Kevlar's you can get the Duratrac's for a lower price.

Which do you think is the better tire offroad for trails/mud? Don't have a whole lot of rocks here in south LA so I'm not so worried about that. While street manners (noise, ride, balance, etc) are factors for me, the manners of my current KM1s are just find. I can't see either the KM2s or MT/R-Ks being much different on road than the KM1s.

Which do you think is the better tire offroad for trails/mud? Don't have a whole lot of rocks here in south LA so I'm not so worried about that. While street manners (noise, ride, balance, etc) are factors for me, the manners of my current KM1s are just find. I can't see either the KM2s or MT/R-Ks being much different on road than the KM1s.

I have not direct experience with the MTR's but I am very pleased with the KM2's. Road noise is there up until about 25mph and then the tires get quieter as you go faster. Not a lot of noise at all cruising around 35-40mph. Performance on the trails is great. I'm from Ohio so we have lots of mud and I can't complain about the way the tires have performed at all. I will be buying another set when these wear out.

Love my KM2's they have surprised me at how well the traction is on the rocks and trails. I had MTR's (non kevlar) before and the KM2's are much better.

I have 33 KM2s on my Jeep right now and love them. They have lived up to every expectation and then some. My Jeep has been on off-road tires longer in its lifetime than street tires of which this is its 4th set. Did pro-comp MTs first which were good brand new but wore out fast and popped easy. Bought KM1s next and then shortly after got a set of BFG ATs in the same size for the MJ and swapped back and forth a couple of times until the ATs finally wore out on the XJ and I went back to the KM1s and then finally wore those out. ATs left me wanting more as far as grip but road manners, ride, and noise were good. KM1s were still very good for a mud tire in all aspects and the KM2s are even better in every way. Had some friends that had the MTRs back in the day and they were not pleased. They didn't like how they rode, said they wore unevenly, but they never said much about how good or bad they were off-road but they never bought them again and actually went with BFG as their next purchase. I am not a fan boy or a person that follows the crowd and believes everything I hear or read but the KM2s definitely have their popularity for a reason which is without a doubt their performance and quality.

I have KM2s in 35" and am lovin' them. They are cheaper than the MTR's, too.
So few people are running the Kevlars, that I am not sure how much comparison can be made. One guy I know with them said he was not liking them on the trail much, but he also said they were so new that he may change his mind when they are a little more broken in. I have a friend with a 4-door Rubicon with some Kevlars and he really likes them.

I was running KM1's before these. The only negative difference is they are a bit louder on the road than my old tires. Other than that, it has been all pluses so far.

My biased vote is for KM2's, but you would probably be happy with either tire. The Kevlars are a little more coin, but seem like they'd be a sweet tire.

this was my same dillema not too long ago. i decided on 33x10.50's in the KM2 flavor. their one of the very few tires that offer that size. ive since changed my mind, and am going with some retreads(half the price and only half inch difference). funny thing, the retreads im going with look like the old mtr's haha.

id say KM2's over old mtr's, but if you have the money, new mtr's with kevlar.

I had the same thought's also before buying my tires.

I went with 33x12.5-15 Kevlar MT/R's. They do a LOT better in mud than people say or in the reviews I've read.

These tires perform, period. Dry, wet, cold, hot.

Road noise is not there, gonna run these all year long up here in MN. Bring on the snow...

I love them even though I was a bit worried about them at first.

Also you can mount them any direction you choose(White letters out/in), I talked with a Rep from Goodyear about it.

IMG00547-20100912-1042.jpg

100_2268.jpg

The White XJ next to me in this pic has the Re-Treads the guy above me is talking about.. also a good performing tire, and cheap to boot.

100_2258.jpg

See for yourself in this video, first try's were in 2 wheel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwiYN6KY2p8

Last edited:
Nice! Let us know how they go I'll be making the same decision come spring time or so.

also, interested on where you bought them and what you paid if you dont mind.

I just pulled the trigger on 5 33 12.50 kevlars!

I think after you wheel them you'll thank yourself, and me... :eyes:

Also I found after running them at 15lbs (without beadlocks) they worked really well, then a friend said to try 10lbs and they were a lot better in the sticky, muddy stuff.

For rocks I still keep them at 15.

Have fun!

Last edited:
ive got them in 35's without beadlocks. run them at 5 if you must they're great.

been discussed a thousand times. ive just come to the conclusion that you'll be happy either way you go.

You're absolutely right! ....... BUT, that depends on the terrain / vehicle / weight. I have a friend that has been running (35's) MTR's on his Wrangler for a couple years and put KM2's his Grand Cherokee. He's so impressed that he's canning his MTR's on his Wrangler and going with KM2's.

I've been running KM2's on my XJ for almost a year now and really like them. Seems I can run a little higher air pressure without having the low air pressure problems with non bead lock wheels. I figure another year and I'll have a realistic evaluation of their worthiness..... for Moab conditions anyway......

I am on my 2nd set of KM2's & still very happy. I think i want to try a set of MTR's
next time around. I have customers that are running them & very happy.

I am on my 2nd set of KM2's & still very happy. I think i want to try a set of MTR's
next time around. I have customers that are running them & very happy.

The perfect way to evaluate tires!!

Just a side note about MTR's... I'm not a fan of directional tires.

Back