• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Stock Drive shaft length

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my drive shaft with a slightly shorter one but I don't know the length of the one that I have now (truck is out of town). Is there anyone out there with an 89 XJ Limited, 4 speed Auto with Select Track and a Dana 35 rear axle that could make an eye to eye measurement of their stock drive shaft, or know where such information may be posted? Thanks for any help.

PS: I'm referring to a stock height vehicle. Thanks.

For anyone that cares...

I did the swap of the Dana 44 into my, stock height (or slightly sagging) original Dana 35 equipped 89 LDT (two door). The orgiginal drive shaft is definitely too long - it might be OK with a slight lift (~1") but it'll be close - Thant the next phase in my project so I'll keep you posted on that.

I ended up using the drive shaft out of a XJ with a 8.25 rear end (which, like the 44, has a longer snout). The drive shaft works, but I think it probably actually a bit short. Hard to tell really but I'm thinking that the up and down motion of the rear axel is only realistically going to cause the drive shaft to move in and out of the slip yoke by a few millimetres tops (I'll do the actual math at some point when I have time) and there's a good 1~2" available to feed that slip yoke with the shorter drive shaft. Seems to be working OK though - at least on the street. As mentioned, I"m planning on reworking the rear springs so that will provide a bit of lift, might just be enough that I can re-use the original shaft. and with bigger bump stops, I don't think I'll get into trouble with the slip yoke.

Back