• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

needing some axle swap help!

dubstepxj

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a dana 44 front (disc) and a dana 60 (drum) rear for my 97 xj project. both have 4.10 gears stock and came out of a 76 or 78 ford e250 van. The geometry of an axle has me a little confused right now. If i was to line up this dana 44 right infront of my stock dana 30 and weld on the brackets in the same spot, the differential on the 44 would be off to the passenger side of the jeep a couple of inches. Is this ok? Will it mess with my driveshaft any? Let me know what you guys think! thanks!

They will work just fine i have the same axles in my 96. You should check the b.o.m # on the rear. Mine had 3.70s so I went to change them out for 4.56 and found I had a dana 61. Most of ford vans in the late 70s had the 61. The only real difference is the pinion to ring gear offset and carrier. they are scrap there are no gears or lockers available.

You may run into trouble with some clearance issues with the exhaust. i know that in order to correctly set my track the dif housing is more towards the passenger side and it contacts the exhaust when the suspension compresses.

no way? Im pretty sure mine is a 60, but i will double double check on that one. But i do know my tabs on front and rear say 4.10. So did you have to shorten your axles or modify them in any major way? care to take some pictures of yours for me? you are extremely helping me out right now!

Back