• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ground screw won't retighten

AScobis

NAXJA Forum User
'98 Sport, 4.0L, AW4, 231.

Took the advice here on renewing grounds. Ground 106 on the inside of the left front wheelwell uses pointed thread cutting screws. When I reinstalled the ground the screw wouldn't tighten. No prob, just used a suitable bolt, lock washer, & nut.

Question is: are those screws, or rather the holes, not supposed to be reusable? There's a wee hole in line with the two existing ground screws at that site. It could be used for an additional ground, or as a spot to reinstall one of the two ground screws.

It's just a ground.....bolt/screw contacting clean metal.... depending on what you're grounding, you just have to make sure the screw is big enough and the metal contact area is large enough. Location shouldn't really matter so don't worry about "reusing" holes. Make a new one if you have to, I've helped my buddies do a bunch of battery-in-trunk jobs where we had to make a new ground back there.

Screws are cheap, nasty and quicker to fit on the production line ... They werent used for any benefits to the XJs wiring harness.

Your use of a bolt and star washer was a good choice.

Back