• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

let's play name that noise!

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, '96 4.0 auto, 93k ...has a low tone rattling sound coming from the bottom end somewhere. My last Cherokee had the flywheel bolts backing out and hitting the inspection cover-thought it might be that. Took the cover off, and nope, not it. The sound is like if you put a couple big rocks in a coffee can, and slowly turned it over and over. The sound doesn't get faster or slower with engine speed either. Everything appears to be tightened up underneath, manifold and exhaust, etc. I'm lost on this one.

Update with a little more info...

As far as the noise goes, still there, I haven't driven the Cherokee out of fear until I at least get this noise diagnosed. The noise is present when the Jeep is running - idling or in gear, doesn't get faster w/rpm's, sounds like it is coming straight out of the center of the bottom of the engine, in the oil pan.
Ok, my Dad the retired mechanic came over today to listen at it. He thought maybe the water pump was making noise, as he listened from under the hood, so I took the belt off, still there. I drove it up on my ramps, he got under it on the creeper and listened, same as I did. He confirmed my thoughts, said it sounds like it is coming from the bottom of the engine somewhere. He said it is in the engine, could be a rod or piston...wasn't sure.
Anybody have a similar experience? My previous 96 is still on the road with 140,000 miles and no problems. Mine currently has 93,000, got it at 87,000. The noise just stared out of the blue one day. Any ides?

oil pump hitting the oil pan???? Have you dented the pan on anything?

Take a long rubber hose and probe for the noise. Put one end to your ear and you will be able to tell where the noise originates...if it is external-if it is internal it may give you a better idea of the general location.

there is a recall for the 96 XJ for emissions. i took my baby XJ in with 155k on the clock and they reprogramed the emissions recall thingy, then they replaced the cat under the recall (mine was rattling and shot -original- and still replaced) then the did a complete check and diagnosis on the thing and told me that my NSS needs replaced (which i know but am putting off).

check and see if you are in under that recall, if you haven't done it already (call dealer with VIN) let them tell you whats making the noise and fix it yourself...

btw, even the smallest dent in the oil pan in the right place can cause the crank and/or connecting rods) to hit the pan...believe me...careful where you put the jack to change motor mounts...

mac 'sometimes the ol dealer is handy' gyvr

Blaine B. said:
.......perhaps your catylitic converter is shot? Hit it and see if anything rattles inside.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!

NEVER hit the catalytic converter directly! Wait for it to cool down, then grab the exhaust pipe on both sides of it and carefully shake. Hitting the cat directly could damage it when it's otherwise healthy.

i know that the xj has a prob with the transfer case handle not getting put together right from factory there is a tsb out on it technical service buliten they say that you need to get a rebuild kit for the handle mounting bracket

Blaine B. said:
I wasn't talking anything serious. Maybe a girl punch?

Yeah, but people will take that to mean 'get a rubber mallet and whack the s*** out of it'. I've seen it happen.

Come on it bounces around more on the damn trail lol.

True, but it's not being hit directly. Stuff hitting it helps to weaken the elements inside, accelerating its demise. It's just not a good idea to hit them.

well, I smack the cat and it sounds solid- no rattling at all. I put a heavy glove on, and while it ws running, held the tailpipe- no change there-
I'm going to double check the ouil pan for dents-didn't notice any, but I'll double check. The noise is definitely coming from inside the oil pan area. Would a TC problem make the noise from that far forward of it?

citRon said:
well, I smack the cat and it sounds solid- no rattling at all. I put a heavy glove on, and while it ws running, held the tailpipe- no change there-
I'm going to double check the ouil pan for dents-didn't notice any, but I'll double check. The noise is definitely coming from inside the oil pan area. Would a TC problem make the noise from that far forward of it?

No, my bet is still the oil pump.

Does it sound like it is directly hitting the oil pan?
Is there end play in the crankshaft, meaning take off the belt and can you physically move the crank in and out of the motor?
Enough where a clunk is heard?
Is your belt worn?

Jess may win the cupie doll! Well, I have all the oil pan bolts out, removed the starter for clearance, axle is drooping, even removed the front lower shock bolts to let it hang- can't get the pan out.
I did, however, manage to get the oil pump out. The front bolt holding the pump on came off easy- too easy, was about finger tight maybe. So I'm thinking the oil pump was the culprit. I'm going to put a new one in while I'm in there, as well as rear main.
Jess- I used the rubber hose trick, and yes, it sounded like it was coming from exactly where the oil pump is.
When I get the pan out, I'll be able to check the crank and bearings, bnut hopefully I won't find anything.
Any ideas on getting the oil pan out???

I too have a 96 XJ. Here are two sources of rattling that I have had in that area:
1) The exhause pipe hits the t-case cross member support that spans the unibody frame rails. Mostly during a sharp left turn. I made some sort of rubber spacer that I shoved under one of the welded on exhaust hangers to raise the pipe a bit. This hanger is the one that attaches by the t-case.

2) I had a cracked flywheel bolt. This cracked bolt made a tapping sound that only appeared when it was really hot down there. This bolt was also put in backwards at the factory, it was a pain to back out since there was no clearance. My mechanic had to back it out, cut it and then back it out some more with pliers.

Hope this helps.

Tom

ok, got the oil pan out. Took me 2 days work in my garage, with jack stands and a creeper, and using hand tools! Had to remove the starter, front shock's lower bolts, flywheel cover, and wiggle, wiggle, wiggle. Then got the oil pump out, got the rear main out. I think the oil pump was the culprit. When I spin it by hand, it makes a clunking noise as it spins, sounds too loud for what it should be. Anyway, figured I'd do the rear main while I was in there- mine has been leaking since I got it. When i got the old one out, I could tell it had been done before, because the turd who did it didn't clean out all the old gasket on the lower half. There was 1-2 inches on both sides coming from the top, down into the groove of old, hard blackened gasket. The new one never had a chance of sealing.
Ok, tomorrow I clean everything up and start putting it back together. I'll know if the oil pump was it, and I'll let everyone know.
Thanks to everyone who has posted how-to's and directions for all these things I've done here on the forum, it has ben a BIG help!

Again, the catalytic converter is under a recall. Even if you don't think it is bad, they'll replace it for free. They are known to make some pretty bad noise.

wyatt wiggins said:
i know that the xj has a prob with the transfer case handle not getting put together right from factory there is a tsb out on it technical service buliten they say that you need to get a rebuild kit for the handle mounting bracket
I've got the very same sounds in the same place... All I have to do is press the TC handle down a bit and the 'crazy elf with club in hand' goes away...
'2WD ONLY'

citizenatlarge said:
I've got the very same sounds in the same place... All I have to do is press the TC handle down a bit and the 'crazy elf with club in hand' goes away...
'2WD ONLY'

I had that in my 87. I replaced a bushing in the linkage and it went away as far as I can remember.

Back