• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft length

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
Is the driveshaft from an ax-15 with a D35 longer than a driveshaft from an ax-15 8.25?

I believe the snout on the 8.25 is just a little bit longer, so the D35 shaft is slightly longer. I don't know exactly how much though.

well, I believe the manuals are even longer.

well my problem is, I converted my 99xj to 4wd amd used the ax-15 and tcase from an older jeep that had a d35. I grabbed the driveshafts from that jeep also. well after bolting up the transmission into my jeep that has an 8.25 I went to put the rear shaft in, however, it was too long. about 2 inches.

with the parts you describe, you need a shaft from a donor with these four properties

87-95 model year
manual transmission (AX5 or AX15, dunno if the BA)
four wheel drive (either an NP231 or NP242)
D35 rear axle

That's the shaft I have. no dice :(

oh sorry had to reread your other posts

yes you want 8.25 shaft since those and the D44 are longer than the D35

it looks like the rear shaft that came from a ax-15 np231 D35 combo is 34" long from ujoint center to ujoint center. I believe I need a 32" long rear shaft.

I found out why the rear shaft is longer. It's because the xj i pulled it from had s-10 leafs which extended the wheel base. So now I just need to know what length the DS comes stock with an ax-15 with an 8.25.

Back