• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AMC vs. Chrysler question

Electrichorseman

NAXJA Forum User
Not too sure where to post this question so forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

What is the last official production year for the Jeep Cherokee? I know that Chrysler offically bought AMC in March of 1987 but it took some time for the actual design and production to change. I have been told that 1988 was the last of the original AMC XJs and Chrysler chnaged the original AMC engineering for 1989.

Any input on this?

Ken C.

AFAIK, depends on what portion of the vehicle you are talking about... transmissions changed in '90 (pukegoat went away, AX-5 and AX-15 came in, spline count changed) iirc, engine management moved from RENIX to OBD-I for '91, the Chrysler rearend became an option/installed in many XJs in '92 or '93, much of the interior remained the same all the way through 96.

The more I learn about the OEM configurations of the XJ/MJ lines, the more I realize that there are NO hard lines anywhere, almost everything changed gradually.

AFAIK, depends on what portion of the vehicle you are talking about... transmissions changed in '90 (pukegoat went away, AX-5 and AX-15 came in, spline count changed) iirc, engine management moved from RENIX to OBD-I for '91, the Chrysler rearend became an option/installed in many XJs in '92 or '93, much of the interior remained the same all the way through 96.

The more I learn about the OEM configurations of the XJ/MJ lines, the more I realize that there are NO hard lines anywhere, almost everything changed gradually.

Interesting.
If I own a 1988 XJ, can it still be considered an AMC?

PS: Still has original AMC logoed hoses :)

Last edited:
my 90 has amc logos here and there. and the occasional Chrysler on. but to me its an AMC jeep.

my line between amc and chrysler is 91 when it switched over to odb1

Look and see what logo is on the info decal on the driver side firewall. I was service manager at a Jeep dealer during those years and it did seem somewhat gradual until 1991 when the Chrysler fuel injection system was offered and other bigger changes seemed to be incorporated into the Jeeps, among other things.

Not too sure where to post this question so forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

What is the last official production year for the Jeep Cherokee? I know that Chrysler offically bought AMC in March of 1987 but it took some time for the actual design and production to change. I have been told that 1988 was the last of the original AMC XJs and Chrysler chnaged the original AMC engineering for 1989.

Any input on this?

Ken C.

The XJ model remained in production until 2001. Is there something specific you are looking for regarding the AMC-Chry buyout?

There were several significant "transition" years. '84 was the year the XJ was introducted. '87 began the 4.0l I6 and Renix. '91 saw the move to OBD-1 and the HO engine. '96 to OBD-II. '97 had major body style changes as well as other system changes. 2000 went distributorless with the 0331 head.

Of course, there are many more changes spanning the years including many drivetrain changes.

The XJ model remained in production until 2001. Is there something specific you are looking for regarding the AMC-Chry buyout?

There were several significant "transition" years. '84 was the year the XJ was introducted. '87 began the 4.0l I6 and Renix. '91 saw the move to OBD-1 and the HO engine. '96 to OBD-II. '97 had major body style changes as well as other system changes. 2000 went distributorless with the 0331 head.

Of course, there are many more changes spanning the years including many drivetrain changes.

Basically, I own a 1988 Cherokee. Do I call it an AMC or a Chrysler?

Basically, I own a 1988 Cherokee. Do I call it an AMC or a Chrysler?

So you're asking why the sky is blue and I'm explaining atmospheric absorption. :)

My 88 is an AMC. My labels are all AMC, my owners manual (yes, I still have it) says AMC.

AMC BABEEEE!

All 3 jeeps I own are "AMC" jeeps in the sense that my '78 CJ5 is an actual AMC era jeep. My '88 MJ has AMC markings all over it and my '90 XJ has a fair few as well.

I call them JEEPS simply. THis is due to the fact the JEEP has been owned by a LOT of different companies over the years and even in the beginning there wasn't one sole comany that built them. IMO jeep is its own brand that just happens to be owned by someone else. Sad thing is (and I am a MOPAR fan) Chryco has pretty much destroyed any true jeeps...how long before the JK has IFS?

Back