• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.5 re issues

filterbiz

NAXJA Forum User
ok after work today installing the kit and the first issue was there was no sway bar adapter instructions, it says it will work better on the trail without in so i nixed that deal. but why do i have to drill a new track bar hole 3/4 off to the driver side? we stopped at that point. any tips

When you raise the XJ, the distance between the frame mount of the track bar and the axle end of the trackbar increases. If you don't have an adjustable trackbar and use the original hole then the axle will be pulled over to the driver side of the XJ and stick out weird.

Either drill a new hole or use an adjustable trackbar. The adjustable trackbar is preferred.

The RE 3.5" lift comes with new lower control arms, which pushes the front axle a bit further out, and changes the geometry of the front suspension. The new hole you must drill allows you to use your stock track bar since the distance is greater. You could opt for the RE1600 adjustable track bar so you can use the stock mounting location. I added one on my first XJ after I drilled the hole. You will like the improved axle articulation with better track bar and sway bar discos.

well thanks guys, i cant really afford the track bar right now, so i will drill the hole on the axle side and get the track bar as soon as i have some extra funds! The bastard i bought the xj from told me it was registered non op. so i bought it and guess what 556.00 in back reg. oh well lesson learned asked asked him if he could help me out and he blew me off. so i need to save to reg it.

Ouch. That's a tough lesson to learn - always check with the DMV to find back fees. Good luck with the lift.

Just installed an RE 3.5" lift as well, but substituted the RE1600 for the SuperRide LCAs (thank you, Richard/FullSizeXJ!) as I had already invested in a set of adjustable uppers and lowers from IronMan 4x4 Fab (Andy is the man as well)... In any case, I had issues figuring out the sway bar links myself.

Here's the install guide that RE seems to omit more often than not:

http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/RE1171-RE1172.pdf

Just do one thing that I don't believe is covered in that document: install the upper brackets over the sway bar ends with the square holes toward the INSIDE of the vehicle. That way, when you feed the upper link bolts through, the nut is toward the outside. Fail to do this and you'll find yourself hearing a horrible noise when you hit a bump... The sound of the nut on the upper link bolt grinding away at your track bar bracket. Horrible sound, and it put me in a panic thinking I had serious post-install issues. 15 minutes later, it rode smooth as butter.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Upon re-reading that document, this is all covered (I just suck at life and overlooked those details in my hasty install). If you have a later model XJ, you will need to press the original axle side sway bar link bolts out of their brackets with a ball joint press or something similar. Don't be fooled by the torx heads on those bolts - it's a cruel joke Chrysler played to fool people into breaking torx bits. The bolts are splined and pressed in. Hit them with PB Blaster, give them a solid few whacks with a heavy hammer (on the threaded tip/end), then press them out. Once done you can install the provided longer bolts and spacers to get things properly set up. I'll take pics in the morning if needed.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back