• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 swap

XJeeper87

NAXJA Forum User
What is needed for an 8.8 swap into an 87 xj? I know the spring perches need relocated but where? And how do I set up the 8.8 for the stock XJ shock mounts? Do I need an SYE? I bought a 99 8.8 with 124,000mi on it with 3.73 LSD Disc brakes. Bought it to match the 3.73 D30 instead of a D35 bcus the C8.25 doesnt come in 3.73 and I wasnt payin 115$ for a D35 when the 8.8 was same price any ideas

87 XJ 4.0L peugeot 5 speed 4x4 around 4 or 5 inches of lift

You're likely to need to change the length of your rear driveshaft during the swap anyways, may as well get it all done at once. You can do a hack-n-tap for about 120 dollars if a full SYE is out of your budget.

EDIT: oh yeah, as a benefit, while you are doing the swap you can weld your perches on at exactly the angle you need by resting the weight of the vehicle on the axle while setting the pinion angle AFTER doing the SYE yoke install, this way you can save 30-50 dollars on shims and put it towards the hack-n-tap or SYE budget.

You're likely to need to change the length of your rear driveshaft during the swap anyways, may as well get it all done at once. You can do a hack-n-tap for about 120 dollars if a full SYE is out of your budget.

you sure? Im not sure if changing the rear shaft is necessary. the only thing he will have to worry about is getting the correct u joint. am i right? I used my tom woods shaft and just got a 1330 joint for it instead of the 1310/1330 joint. Works like a charm. and i have heard of a few others using the stock DS

I'm not entirely sure. Everyone and their mother told me I'd need to, including a lot of guys I trust on tech, and I couldn't find enough data on pinion offset and snout length to really compare, plus the fact that everyone's lift makes things a little different depending on the spring arch and shackle vs spring lift. My intent is to try a regular old A/T XJ front shaft and see if it fits, if it doesn't, lengthen or shorten as required (using an M/T XJ front shaft if ~1.4" shorter needed, or a V8 ZJ front shaft if somewhat longer is needed.)

Oh geez I forgot that I wasnt running a stock rear driveshaft anymore. DOH! but yes I run a tom woods shaft with a PORC style SYE. However, a stock front shaft out of an automatic will work just fine WITH an SYE. if you arent planning on running an SYE (bad idea) then im not sure if it would work. I doubt it

honestly you dont need it but if you get the money to do it do it im running an 8 inch lift without an SYE and didnt lenghten my driveline at all its worked perfect but yea im going to an SYE soon anyway just because

honestly you dont need it but if you get the money to do it do it im running an 8 inch lift without an SYE and didnt lenghten my driveline at all its worked perfect but yea im going to an SYE soon anyway just because

fur serious?

... that's what I was about to say...

8 inches of lift I would expect you to have about 1" of slip yoke engagement remaining, and terrible angles, I'm surprised it hasn't flown off yet.

ive never had a problem never slipped never came out no abnormal wear for my u joints nothing im a cheap ass honestly and i wont fix it until i have to lol

ive never had a problem never slipped never came out no abnormal wear for my u joints nothing im a cheap ass honestly and i wont fix it until i have to lol

I think you got ripped off on your lift springs. At 4" of lift you start to get abnormal wear on the U joints.

Back