• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interior bulb part number hunt

whatevah

It's Yellah!
During my dash R&R (to replace the A/C evaporator) I realized that I had under dash courtesy lights! Who knew? So, I set off to find bulbs to replace them. While I was at it, I also wanted to replace the tcase and trans gear indicator bulbs, and the license plate bulb, since that was out too. :)

The owners manual says tcase/trans bulbs are #658. However, neither Pep Boys or Autozone stocked them. However, looking around, bulb #168 (plate bulb) looked the same, so I picked up 2 pairs. They fit both shifter bezels and the license plate, at least for my 2001 XJ.

Now onto the courtesy lights under the dash. The owners manual and alldata both say it uses the 168 bulb. Well, it's not even close. 168 is a spade-type push-in bulb and the courtesy lights have a round base that twists in to lock. I played around and picked up bulb #97 that fits perfectly.

Hope this helps anybody else who's been looking for bulbs.

I did the lights in my effort to make my XJ a little more civilized, it hasn't had carpet or center console in 3 years, and the A/C evaporator gave up the ghost 2 years ago. I even used detailing wipes on the dash and console when I reinstalled them. :) No carpet yet, it's still buried under junk in the garage. Plus I need to vacuum out a lot of sand and dirt.

Back