• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater core hoses

Craigabooey

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me where I can buy the molded heater core hoses for my 97 XJ (4.0) The parts places by me only sell heater hose by the foot. I'd rather have the original molded type that came with the truck. I am trying to avoid the dealership if I can...thanks!

The only place other than the dealership I can think of is Quadratec.com. They deal with Cherokees and Grand Cherokees. I do not see molded heater hoses in my catalog but it does not cover everything. Check their website.

NAPA and RockAuto both list hoses on their websites, but I'm not sure if they're the correct hoses- some parts stores list the hoses as connecting to the valve, and there's no heater control valve in a 97 (that's Autozone for you...). I'd hit a NAPA and compare the actual hoses- pics on the websites aren't always correct.

NAPA and RockAuto both list hoses on their websites, but I'm not sure if they're the correct hoses- some parts stores list the hoses as connecting to the valve, and there's no heater control valve in a 97 (that's Autozone for you...). I'd hit a NAPA and compare the actual hoses- pics on the websites aren't always correct.
I bought the Dayco hoses off Rockauto. Neither of them were molded correctly and only 1 of them were long enough to reach the water inlet tube. The one that works is Dayco #80404. #80402 does not reach anything. The Gates #19038 and #19039 are longer according to the description so I'd place my money on those to work. Plus they're Gates and they're high quality in everything they do from thermostats to timing belts.

I bought the Dayco hoses off Rockauto. Neither of them were molded correctly and only 1 of them were long enough to reach the water inlet tube. The one that works is Dayco #80404. #80402 does not reach anything. The Gates #19038 and #19039 are longer according to the description so I'd place my money on those to work. Plus they're Gates and they're high quality in everything they do from thermostats to timing belts.

How long ago was this? Currently rockauto.com only lists ACDelco hoses for the 97.

Last week. It's for a 98 but I didn't think there was any change from 97-98.

Edit: I just checked rockauto. They lists Dayco and Gates for the 97 as well. Maybe you looked up the wrong thing Joe?

Last edited:
Rock has the ACDelco hoses listed under the Cooling System section as coolant hoses, while the Gates and Dayco hoses are listed under the Heating and AC section as heater hoses.

FWIW, the Dayco numbers are the same on AZ, and both sites reference the valve, which seems to be incorrect for a 97.

I've had no problems with anything Gates, so that's what I would lean toward, although I'd check NAPA if I was in a hurry to get them. Currently the heater hoses are the only part of the cooling system I haven't replaced- I need to get around to this myself.

Last week. It's for a 98 but I didn't think there was any change from 97-98.

Edit: I just checked rockauto. They lists Dayco and Gates for the 97 as well. Maybe you looked up the wrong thing Joe?

Rock has the ACDelco hoses listed under the Cooling System section as coolant hoses, while the Gates and Dayco hoses are listed under the Heating and AC section as heater hoses.

FWIW, the Dayco numbers are the same on AZ, and both sites reference the valve, which seems to be incorrect for a 97.

I've had no problems with anything Gates, so that's what I would lean toward, although I'd check NAPA if I was in a hurry to get them. Currently the heater hoses are the only part of the cooling system I haven't replaced- I need to get around to this myself.

Thanks, I thought I was losing my mind--again!

19038 & 19039 do look like the right Gates numbers
You can use the "Auto parts locator" on the right side of the screen at
http://www.gates.com/index.cfm?location_id=524 to check on Gates products.

Use the part number search tab at RockAuto.
They do have them and are ~$9.00 & ~$11.00 Dont forget to use a 5% discount code with them. (I posted one a few days ago)

I just replaced both the heater hoses and the radiator hoses on my '99 with the Gates variety from RockAuto. Their recommended part numbers matched up with the part numbers suggested on NAPA's website and they all fit perfectly. The upper radiator hose comes with the chafe guard, but you'll want to reuse the chafe guard and the internal coil from the lower hose. I'd also suggest investing in some good old fashioned stainless steel hose clamps to go with them as the OEM clamps are a PITA to work with, especially in tight spots.

I cant find the right heater hose replacement!

96 xj. "L" shape metal hose that goes from thermostat to rubber hose that runs along valve head.

Napa saying replace with a rubber hose. But how do you install when the fitting to thermostat is a threaded connection?

Autozone couldnt help. Pep boys is absolutely worthless in the help department.

thanks

getimage.php

This one? Water pump inlet tube, Dorman # is 56398, OE 53007978. RockAuto has them, probably find them elsewhere as well. To replace with rubber hose, you would use a barbed fitting with the correct thread, screw it in, and clamp the hose to it.

edit- The only metal on mine is the water pump tube- the hose off the Tstat body is rubber the whole way.

That inlet tube is also a pain in the ass to find. I called Napa 2 weeks ago looking for it and apparently only a couple stores have them in the west and altogether is less than 10. Teamcherokee.com sells them as well. Both OEM and cheaper aftermarket.

Unless it's damaged for some reason, you can just remove the inlet tube from the old water pump and screw it into the new one using some PTFE on the threads. Really no need to replace it unless it's severely corroded.

You can use some pipe, a elbow, and a brass fitting to replace the inlet with. The plus to this is you do not have to have the flared end on the hose, you can use a 3/4" brass nipple and regular 3/4" heater hose. It could be done in copper just as easy if you know how to sweat pipe.

Just a thought

That inlet tube is also a pain in the ass to find. I called Napa 2 weeks ago looking for it and apparently only a couple stores have them in the west and altogether is less than 10. Teamcherokee.com sells them as well. Both OEM and cheaper aftermarket.

Purchased a new inlet tube (PN: 53007978) at the local Dodge dealer in '08 for $15.39.

Back