• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Liftgate Speakers

BigSky89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had any luck replacing the 5.25" speakers in the liftgate with 6x9's? I am trying to give my '89 XJ a little better sound. Is there room for larger speakers in the liftgate? I know the door speakers can be tough to upsize because of the window assembly.:woohoo:

i did the same as Jamescad04
cut out a little bit and then some different screws, i ended up using some plywood painted grey to make amounting plate because the hole from the PO was too large

6.5's will sound better IMVHO, and you will have to do less modifying to get them to fit in the stock location. It is better to mount to the liftgate than to the trim panel for better response. I just did this with JL V525's, but my Polk Audio 651's will fit in there. I also had some 6x9's back there at one time screwed to the trim panel - yuck!

The problem with mounting directly to the hatch is depth--you need really shallow speakers to make it work and if the speakers are too deep you need to mount to the panel. Either way you need to attach the grill to the trim panel for it to look clean. Here's what my setup ended up like

Speaker_Cutouts.sized.jpg

Speaker_Grill_Cutouts.sized.jpg

Panel_Tie_Downs_Installed_1.sized.jpg

Depends on what you want of course. The XJ is so noisy and boxy that it's just a bad choice for audio fidelity from the get-go, and if that's your goal then forget the hatch anyway. If you want to be able to pop the rear open and have some tunes while relaxing then it's a great spot, but it's gonna sound like speakers in the hatch of an XJ

The problem with mounting directly to the hatch is depth--you need really shallow speakers to make it work and if the speakers are too deep you need to mount to the panel. Either way you need to attach the grill to the trim panel for it to look clean. Here's what my setup ended up like

Speaker_Cutouts.sized.jpg

Speaker_Grill_Cutouts.sized.jpg

Panel_Tie_Downs_Installed_1.sized.jpg

Depends on what you want of course. The XJ is so noisy and boxy that it's just a bad choice for audio fidelity from the get-go, and if that's your goal then forget the hatch anyway. If you want to be able to pop the rear open and have some tunes while relaxing then it's a great spot, but it's gonna sound like speakers in the hatch of an XJ

X2, I did the exact same thing. Is great for kick back music, but like he said, sound isnt as premo as say a set up lexus.

Back