• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Hitches

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on adding a 2" receiver hitch to the rear of my '99XJ. Are all hitches created equal for the most part or are their brands or features you recommend I look for or stay away from?

I like the oem one that comes with the tow package. Id hit up ebay or the junkyard for one. It tucks up pretty tight to the bumper and has a box with a 7 way rv style plug already on it.

I have a Hidden Hitch on both of my XJ's, only the receiver section sits below the bumper. Not sure what they are going for new nowadays, but you might be able to find one used.

I have a Hidden Hitch on both of my XJ's, only the receiver section sits below the bumper. Not sure what they are going for new nowadays, but you might be able to find one used.

The real kicker there is I actually had one and sold a few months back when I thought I would be selling the Cherokee as a whole.

Hit up the junkyard. Probably gonna be your cheapest/best bet.

Dakota hitches (pre-'96 at least) can be made to work. Nearly identical width between frame rails.

I just mounted Rusty's hitch on my '99 and it's pretty nice--it looks similar to the hidden hitch. Not super cheap but good quality and has all the hardware for mounting. http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...Product_Code=RR-RH10-XJ&Category_Code=rec_hit

When mounting it you'll see the passenger side frame has a nut strip that hold the exhaust hanger--I took the advice from here and used a metric M12-1.75 tap to clean out the unused bolt holes. They were loaded with rust and would have surely stripped the bolts, but once cleaned it was a painless install. Driver side had no nut strip so I pulled bolts through the frame like the instructions say. Watch this video for a good overview of the install: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79dNP8ZISuU You will definitely appreciate a friend's help to mount it too.

When mounting it you'll see the passenger side frame has a nut strip that hold the exhaust hanger--I took the advice from here and used a metric M12-1.75 tap to clean out the unused bolt holes. They were loaded with rust and would have surely stripped the bolts, but once cleaned it was a painless install. Driver side had no nut strip so I pulled bolts through the frame like the instructions say. Watch this video for a good overview of the install: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79dNP8ZISuU You will definitely appreciate a friend's help to mount it too.

Thanks for the tips.

Any XJ hitch will fit. I have moved the same Mopar hitch, originally off a junkyard 92, from my 87 to my 95 to my 99.

If you have rusted nut strips, and don't want to hunt down the rather unusual pitch metric fasteners (or tap) that they require, you can tap them out with a coarse US tap, I believe it's 7/16, but I may be misremembering and it may be 1/2. If you have a set of taps it's easy enough to figure out. The US size is just a hair bigger and the pitch so close that it takes only a little more effort than it would to chase the correct thread, and the bolts are easier to find.

Any XJ hitch will fit. I have moved the same Mopar hitch, originally off a junkyard 92, from my 87 to my 95 to my 99.

If you have rusted nut strips, and don't want to hunt down the rather unusual pitch metric fasteners (or tap) that they require, you can tap them out with a coarse US tap, I believe it's 7/16, but I may be misremembering and it may be 1/2. If you have a set of taps it's easy enough to figure out. The US size is just a hair bigger and the pitch so close that it takes only a little more effort than it would to chase the correct thread, and the bolts are easier to find.

Thanks. This should make things easier. Also, is the only way to wire a hitch for the Cherokee is splice it in with a kit or is there an actual plug somewhere that accepts a pigtail of some kind? I was hoping to wire it with a full 7 way plug.

Thanks. This should make things easier. Also, is the only way to wire a hitch for the Cherokee is splice it in with a kit or is there an actual plug somewhere that accepts a pigtail of some kind? I was hoping to wire it with a full 7 way plug.
I 'm not sure how it varies by year, but I think most XJ's have a plug behind the trim behind the spare tire, to which an adapter can be attached. All three of mine have come with the wiring already in, so I never had to dig too deep.

I have drawtite front and rear hitches on my 98xj. I got a trailer wireing harness at napa that plugs into the factory wireing harness.

Back