• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Radiator Hose Spring....Is it needed

ECXJ1384

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to replace my water pump, thermostat and housing and figured I would replace both radiator hoses since they were never changed since I owned it. Now my question is I was checking the lower hose and it does not have the spring in it that I have read that comes in it from the factory. Is this spring necessary or is it ok without. I checked at a few auto parts stores around me and none of them carry the lower hose with the spring in it. If I do need one would a dealership be the only place to get it. Thanks.

The spring is there to keep the hose from collapsing due to suction from the water pump. Not really an issue unless the hose is dryrotted on the outside or soft and bulging. I haven't had one in in the last 3 hoses i've put on my 95 and it's been fine for the past 90k miles.

Thanks, yea the current hose has lasted at least 50k miles on it as far as I know without one. But I figured while I am at it I may as well grab one from the dealership with the spring then, I just wasn't sure if it was really needed. Thanks for the help.

You can always take the spring out of the old one and stick it in the new one. That's what I've done. Takes about a minute.

I recently had some cooling issues and I think it was due in part to a collapsing lower hose. I had a new hose that didn't have a spring. So Iwent to the junkyard to get one.

FWIW, MJR on this board has many years experience as a Jeep tech and he told me that you should absolutely put a spring in the hose.

IMO its there for a reason. i would have it in there

Thanks i will make sure I grab one at the dealership then, I wish there was a junkyard close to me I have been looking for one and have yet to find one.

Given the amount of potential cooling issues the 4.0L Jeeps have I would replace the lower hose with the spring. You are going through the effort of maintaining the cooling system. There is no sense in doing the job twice since the lower hose is not easily accessable. Why make more work for yourself?:firedevil

Just buy a "universal" lower hose--has spring built in and those will never collapse.

I'm of two minds about it. First my last several xj's didn't have the spring and had no overheating issues. But, my 401 mj had no spring either, stock radiator and lower hose- and it would suck the hose flat in a heartbeat if you winged the throttle. Scary to see. So it's not completely necessary but sure couldn't hurt.

Yea I am going to give the dealership a call tomorrow and see if they have one in stock. I never saw anything about the universal hoses but if the dealership doesn't have one in stock then that looks like the next best thing.

Back