• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM fog switch help

2000XJSPORT

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to know if anyone knows how to wire up a 97-01 XJ fog light switch to a set aux lights. The lights I am adding are a Mopar 96 ZJ bumper mount style. Everything lights up and the wire that goes to under the dash just needs to be grounded to turn the lights on. Can anyone help.
Thanks in advance.
Alex

Wait a minute, if you have never had fogs in it from the factory then the relays are NOT in the PDC and it won't work, in fact the sockets for the relays are not even in the PDC unless it had factory fogs from the factory. That plug thats back there will light a factory switch but it won't do anything else. Thats why they sell the internal wiring kit for it.

I have factory fog lamps. I am adding a set of ZJ one to the bumper. It is a complete new kit. Relays and all. It looks just like the OEM XJ factory harness. The problem I am having is the switch. I wired up a ground to it and also the Output to the relay for the lights. The switch does not work on or off the lights stay on. Wiring is correct and the switch is good.

2000XJSPORT said:
I have factory fog lamps. I am adding a set of ZJ one to the bumper. It is a complete new kit. Relays and all. It looks just like the OEM XJ factory harness. The problem I am having is the switch. I wired up a ground to it and also the Output to the relay for the lights. The switch does not work on or off the lights stay on. Wiring is correct and the switch is good.
Oh, ok, if you have the knee panel out under the steering column there is a big aluminum yoke and it should even have a threaded hole in it almost dead center as I remember, I just found a bolt to fit the hole and used that as a ground..
Other than the one splice to get the parking/low beam signal it was all plug an play, I ended up with one yellow wire running to the engine compartment, that wire triggered the Hella fused relay to the hella 550's. I used the hella wiring because it was heavier than the outside part of the harness that came with the fog light wiring kit, 12ga vs 14ga...

Still trying to hook up a set of new ZJ fog lamps that I want to mount to my bumper. The new wiring kit looks just like a XJ fog lamp kit one. With one lead coming out the relay to the dash for the switch. Now hear is the problem. When I give a ground the switch and hook up the wire from the harness, the lights come on even if the switch is in the off position. The wires are connected to the right spot. The ground goes completely thru the switch. I thought factory switch just completes the ground to make the lights come on. What could be causing this? How can I make this work?

Last edited:
The fog lights unlike the driving lights, if thats what you are using them for, are supposed to get the rest of the ckt from the low beam/parking feed [brown wire if I remember right], for driving you want to get the high beam side and off hand I have no idea of the correct wire color and my FSM is buried for now as I continue cleaning the cellar.
Interesting thing that I noticed was the fogs would stay on all the time, parking, low beam, high beam, if I disconnected that brown wire.

RichP said:
The fog lights unlike the driving lights, if thats what you are using them for, are supposed to get the rest of the ckt from the low beam/parking feed [brown wire if I remember right], for driving you want to get the high beam side and off hand I have no idea of the correct wire color and my FSM is buried for now as I continue cleaning the cellar.
Interesting thing that I noticed was the fogs would stay on all the time, parking, low beam, high beam, if I disconnected that brown wire.

I am going to use them as driving lights. I know of the feed that goes to the headlamps to tell the relay they are on. So instead of wiring into that harness I just connected that feed also to the positive on the battery. I thought this could trick the relay to thinking its on all the time. I just want to somehow use the OEM switch to make them turn on and off. But like I said the ground runs right thru the switch and the lights stay on as long as it is grounded.

You need to run your lamps on a relay, which is what the factory switch is wired for.

I can't recall the wire colors on the switch but this might help:
Left to right
1 - Constant Power (Orange wire, I believe)
2 - I/O Wire to Relay
3 - Switched Power (powered when lowbeams are on, unpowered when lowbeams or off; this is why your fog lamps only turn on while low beams are on)
4 - Ground (Black)

In order to bypass the highbeam turnoff, cut that wire (and cap it), then jump the constant power over to it on the switch. You can even run a highbeam powered wire to that pin if you want your driving lamps to only come on when you turn your high beams off.

This is mostly from memory, I appologize if any of it is incorrect. :)

Herzog said:
You need to run your lamps on a relay, which is what the factory switch is wired for.

Left to right
2 - I/O Wire to Relay
3 - Switched Power (powered when lowbeams are on, unpowered when lowbeams or off; this is why your fog lamps only turn on while low beams are on)
4 - Ground (Black)

In order to bypass the highbeam turnoff, cut that wire (and cap it), then jump the constant power over to it on the switch. You can even run a highbeam powered wire to that pin if you want your driving lamps to only come on when you turn your high beams off.

OK, The harness has a relay on it. The wire that comes to the dash comes from that relay. So I do not connect the wire on the harness that goes to the regular headlights? Just cap it? I guess I have to hook up all the wires to the switch to make this work right? Before I just hooked up a ground and the wire that goes to the relay. Just trying to get an idea on how to make this work.

OK, if I'm understanding you right you want to use the XJ fog light wiring for a set of driving lights to come on with the high beams instead of the low beams. At the left (drivers side) headlight connecter there should be two red wires one 18AWG, and one 20AWG (this wire goes to red with white tracer @ a connecter before fog light relay #1 in the PDC) you want to cut the 20AWG (smaller one) wire (test the light to make shure that you didn't cut the low beam wire), and splice it into the violet wire. This will alow the fog light circuit to function with the high beams insted of low beams (including the indacator on the factory switch). Then all you will need to do is connect the ZJ lights to the XJ harness. You won't need any of the ZJ wiring kit.

Last edited:
Sorry. I must have not made my real problem clear, not that any of the info above is a waste. The problem is that the switch does not turn off the lights. I grounded the OEM switch and connected the wire from the relay. But the lights just stay on. Like the ground is running right thru the switch. Do I need to connect all of the wire to the switch to make it work correctly? Why is it doing this? Thanks again for all of your help.

Somewhere you are getting power to the lamps before the switch. Or at the switch. Use an ohm meter to check which post on the switch is hot and ground. To do this ground the black probe and use the red probe to check the switch touching each post while you operate the switch on or hot will read 0000 and if you hit the ground it will read a minus reading and then check the relay it should have two hots and a ground. Again if you touch both leads to two connecting posts then it reads 0000 for an open circuit if it reads blank or minus you have found the ground to hot circuit. You can also use the meter to check that you have the right circuit. With the wire exposed set the meter for 12V DC ground the black probe touch or clamp the red probe to the wire and turn on your high beams and observe the reading is it 12 V DC if it is you have the right wire if not you may have inadvertly connected to hot wire in the loom that is not a light wire. Hope this helps

2000XJSPORT said:
Sorry. I must have not made my real problem clear, not that any of the info above is a waste. The problem is that the switch does not turn off the lights. I grounded the OEM switch and connected the wire from the relay. But the lights just stay on. Like the ground is running right thru the switch. Do I need to connect all of the wire to the switch to make it work correctly? Why is it doing this? Thanks again for all of your help.
The internal design of the factory switch will not alow it to function in a switched ground type circuit. The + for the indicator light is internaly tapped after the switch, and is grounded with the illlum light. If you try to use the LB wire as a ground current will flow though the on indicator LED, and compleat circuit regardless of switch position. If you don't want any lights to illumnate on the switch then then what you have is fine just cut the black wire.

scoobyxj said:
The internal design of the factory switch will not alow it to function in a switched ground type circuit. The + for the indicator light is internaly tapped after the switch, and is grounded with the illlum light. If you try to use the LB wire as a ground current will flow though the on indicator LED, and compleat circuit regardless of switch position. If you don't want any lights to illumnate on the switch then then what you have is fine just cut the black wire.

Thank you. Now I know why the ground is running thru the switch. Thank again and I give what you suggested a try.

Herzog said:

Left to right
2 - I/O Wire to Relay
4 - Ground (Black)

ok where is this relay ? I am wanting to do this bery thing to mine so I have driving lights ( that use to be fog lights ) and hi beams same time correcto ?

PolishX said:
ok where is this relay ? I am wanting to do this bery thing to mine so I have driving lights ( that use to be fog lights ) and hi beams same time correcto ?

The relays (there are two however it's not one for each light) is in the PDC (underhood fuse box). If you have a 2000, or 01 then you can use what I posted in post #12. I would only assume the 97-99 are the same wiring colors, and I would think the circuit design would be the same.

Back