• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor mount installation help needed

keith_b00ne

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing Brown Dog plastic polyurethane motor mounts. I got the driver side on easily. Passenger side through bolt could not be removed because it hits the oil filter assembly. The motor mount bracket that connects to the motor is being held by three bolts with large star heads. This could not be removed because rust has ate the heads out. Need some suggestions, please, on what to do. Thanks for your help!
Keith

Ouch!
Bracket bolts are 3/8. Using a hammer, smack each bolt square on the head with the hammer to jar them loose. Then, use a 9/16" 6-point socket to remove the bolt. If this doesn't work, use propane torch and apply a little (and I mean just a little) heat to the bolt head. Then bang again. Then try removing again.

I will have to look at it again, but I didn't see any 9/16" 6-point sockets. The 3 bolts are a tapered edge and require a star. You can't get a socket on them. It is the little points of the star that are rounded off. It is a little tight up there to really hit it, but I would be able to get heat on it. I doubt it would help with the condition of the bolts. I stopped on it more because I was tired. Maybe tomorrow I will tinker with it some more.

I will have to look at it again, but I didn't see any 9/16" 6-point sockets. The 3 bolts are a tapered edge and require a star. You can't get a socket on them. It is the little points of the star that are rounded off. It is a little tight up there to really hit it, but I would be able to get heat on it. I doubt it would help with the condition of the bolts. I stopped on it more because I was tired. Maybe tomorrow I will tinker with it some more.

Sorry, didn't catch the torx heads on the first read.

Any idea how hard it is to pull of the oil filter assembly? Thanks for the quick response.

That's the way to do it. Don't pull the engine bracket.

The oil filter base comes off easily, but a lot of times the 25-year-old Orings will leak when you put it back together.

You should get new ones before you start. I had trouble finding them, so I reused the old, and got lucky.

I don't recommend it, though.

Good luck!

Robert

I might be wrong--frequently I am, just ask anybody--but I believe on the vertical mount filters you can remove the oil filter, then use a wrench and remove the adapter that the filter screws on to. At that time the motor mount bolt will slide by.

This would be a good time to consider converting over to an SAE filter instead of the metric one. Part number 53007563 replaces the threaded piece the metric filter screws onto and its now SAE.

Article: http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARoilFilterConversion/OilFilterConversion.htm

Note: If you convert to SAE, change the firewall sticker and be sure, absolutely sure, to tell any service people you have work on your engine that it absolutely takes an SAE filter instead of the metric.

Last edited:
That's the way to do it. Don't pull the engine bracket.

The oil filter base comes off easily, but a lot of times the 25-year-old Orings will leak when you put it back together.

You should get new ones before you start. I had trouble finding them, so I reused the old, and got lucky.

I don't recommend it, though.

Good luck!

Robert
o-rings can be bought at the dealership. i needed them, it was under $2.

just FYI

you can remove the oil filter, then use a wrench and remove the adapter that the filter screws on to. At that time the motor mount bolt will slide by...

Yeah, that's what I meant.

o-rings can be bought at the dealership. i needed them, it was under $2.

Wish I'da tried there. They closed my Dodge dealer last year, the next one is five miles out of my way, so I usually don't bother...

But good info. Thanks!

Robert

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Just to make sure, I'm NOT talking about unbolting/removing the oil filter adapter--OFA--I'm talking about just removing the long tube that has the threads on it for the filter itself. That long tube threads into the OFA. Pictures in the link I posted earlier.

Good luck.

PS--moving this to OEM Tech.

Last edited:
See the linked article.

There is a "locating pin"--a roll pin if I remember correctly. You could simply drill a new hole in the OFA to insert the roll pin into to clock the OFA differently.

Well, if you can get the torx bolts out, remove the mount as a unit and don't mess with the oil filter adapter. Replace the block bolts with hex head grade 8 bolts.

I've found that if you start to strip a Torx head then use the next size up or 2 and gently tap it in with a mallet and usually grabs it

if you can find enough room can you weld a nut or short bolt ontop of the torx heads and spin em off with a wrench ???

Back