• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle surging when coasting

tdicola

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I noticed my '99 XJ (auto, 4 liter, 150k miles) surges a bit when I'm off the throttle and coasting. I only noticed it recently when my muffler was off (could hear the exhaust surges) and can see it jumps from ~500-800 RPM. I don't see this behavior at idle, under acceleration, or when braking--only when the car is moving without my foot on the gas. I'm not aware of any check engine light or codes being thrown either (haven't hooked it up to a code reader, but there's no check engine light). Anyone ever experience similar issues? Could this be a sign of the TPS going out, and if so is there an easy way to test it? Thanks!

Last edited:
I agree with winterbeater.....testing your throttle position sensor makes sense. Analog meter works best, manual will have the exact procedure.

There certainly are other possibilities, but the TPS comes to mind first.

After that, I would verify exact fuel pressure on the schrader valve on the fuel rail with a gauge. With your 99, you are looking for 49.2 psi, plus or minus 5 psi.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Interesting, so it might just be normal behavior? I'm planning to do a full tuneup of spark plugs, wires, distributor, etc. pretty soon so I'll see if I can test the TPS at the same time too.

Back