• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TAP THE PEDAL

xjnco

NAXJA Forum User
When driving my '96, 4.0 w / AX15 the throttle will idle above 1k rpm unless I tap the pedal. Then the idle speed will drop to normal 700 rpm +-. This gets to be a pain driving around town and it's not helping my gas mileage any. There are no codes showing so I can't quite figure it out. The IAC appears ok, maybe the TPS? Any suggestions?

Maybe the IAC or TPS, but you should start with the basics--clean the throttle body and IAC port, inspect the linkage to see if it is binding or the throttle plate itself is loose in the throttle shaft, check that the throttle plate returns all the way, see if the linkage is binding.

Good luck, post up what you find.

I've inspected the linkage, all is in goood working order and throttle plate returns all the way. I will clean throttle body and IAC port and see what happens.Thanks, Mike

I had a similar issue, turned out to be the TPS. No CEL, it looked pretty good on an analog meter, would start and idle normally, but hang at about 1000 rpms after I started driving, unless I tapped the pedal. Swapped in a spare TPS and no more problems.

Throttle body had deposits around the plate, used some TB cleaner, not much happened. Used some choke cleaner and it took the deposits off... all working good now. Thanks
The deposits came from K&N Filter oil after cleaning the filter, happened once before, should have r'membered...my bad!

Glad you got it sorted out.

Now, go have fun!

Thanks Joe, I think I'll head up to Rocky Mountain National Park on Sunday...

Great, I have to haul a load of salted beef hides to the processing plant Sunday/Monday--9 hours driving down, 9 hours driving back, ends up about 23 hours with fueling/meal.

I'm jealous! Have fun!

Great, I have to haul a load of salted beef hides to the processing plant Sunday/Monday--9 hours driving down, 9 hours driving back, ends up about 23 hours with fueling/meal.

I'm jealous! Have fun!

What are you cooking up, Leather Jerkey????

My '96 is behaving the same, although not as bad. I had the re-flash recall done last year, and a few months later, a stumble at speed on the Interstate, and a CEL, TPS. Different 'new' junkyard TPS, immaculate TB, still likes to pull gently 2-3 seconds after taking foot off gas. Don't feel it as much as hear it resonating through loud muffler. It's not bothering me enough to get my hands dirty yet....

What are you cooking up, Leather Jerkey????

LOL! No, FIL/BIL run a custom slaughter business. They salt the beef and buffalo hides, then when scheduling/weather is right--or the hide barn starts getting full--we haul them to the hide plant for processing.

Most of the hides end up going overseas after processing.

Back