• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size issues

grizzly944

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, just installed an OME suspension system and was looking at new tires. Wanted to go with 30x9.5 R15, but noticed the 265/70 R15 is almost the same size - and a lot cheaper. Anyone have an issue with a 10.5 with for clearance under the front fenders when turning?

when i picked up my stock xj to build it had 31s on it, it rubbed a little turning cuz the front bumper was bent down but when i pulled that out it didnt rub at all on flat ground

Which OME lift did you buy? 2, 3, or 4 inch?

FWIW I have the 4 inch with 31x10.50 KM2s on Jeep Ravine wheels. No fender trimming and no rubbing. I did put two washers under the steering stops.

Nice lift.
I too run the 2.5" kit... if you are still running the factory control arms and wheels, you will need to adjust the steering stops with a 10.5" wide tire.
Do you have a picture of your rig?

OME makes a 4" lift? Anybody know why OME sticks to small lifts only?

I believe the 4" kit is a Hybrid lift from DPG offroad. I will also be running a hybrid OME lift at around 4 inches.

I have a 2001 sport with an what OME called a medium load 2 1/2" lift (3" before settling). The rear springs came in light, medium and heavy load rating. I called OME and they recommended the medium load lift because it would have a better ride than the heavy load lift. I installed 245/75 16 KM2 BFG mud terrains on 16" rubicon moab rims, the tires measure 31". I also have a detours rear bumper with the tire carrier. I had no rubbing issues while driving on the street but when I loaded for camping and two other passengers I had rubbing on the rear fenders. I also noticed rubbing in the rear while wheeling. I have since used the cut and fold method on the rear fenders to make room and I have no more rubbing issues. A couple of other things I found out are the wheel offset also makes a difference and 97+ models have smaller wheel openings mainly because of the newer fender and bumper moldings.

OME is an Australian(sp?) Company.
I once read that in Auz, there are fedral restrictions regarding vehicle (hench lift) heights... and that is why they stick to smaller lifts.
Don't know for certain, but that is what I read.

OME is an Australian(sp?) Company.
I once read that in Auz, there are fedral restrictions regarding vehicle (hench lift) heights... and that is why they stick to smaller lifts.
Don't know for certain, but that is what I read.

Not quite, you can lift 2" without getting the vehicle engineered, after that (in some states) you need to get it engineered to be legal but regardless there are plenty of big lifts available here its just the OME lift is really for the tourer who just wants a bit of lift and quality suspensions to cope with outback touring and corrugated tracks etc. As an example I run a 5.5" RE lift on my XJ but with the OME LT shocks.

Cheers
Steve

Back