• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So I think I just blew my first head gasket =] help!

donttellscotty05

NAXJA Forum User
Just got a 4.0 in a 96' sport 2 door that just decided to burst coolant out the back of the motor about an hour ago. I'm all but positive it's the head gasket but until I get in there with a light... Looking for specs on head bolt torque,replacement of head bolts vs reusing, machine vs just checking with a straight edge, is the gasket different in the High Output model/thickness related to compression? It could just be much more simple than I'm estimating, anything helps. :repair:

If its not bthe freeze plug then check for combustion gasses in your coolant. If present its your head gasket..if your head gasket is blown get the head resurfaced and pressure tested. It may look straight but could be warped or could be cracked somewhere you can't seee. When I had mine done it was like 60 bucks for a resurface and pressure test at a local automotive machine shop. Now as for the head bolts, I learned the hard way by trying to reuse mine.. one of mine broke off inside the block at only like 40 lbs.. so id just get new ones and avoid a crappy situation.. the only place I found head bolts for my 89 was headbolts.com. it was around 40 bucks shipped. Good luck!

Back