• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anywhere to buy a NEW rear D44?

00XJ49

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know of someone that manufactures direct bolt-in rear D44 axle assemblies for XJs? G2 makes front and rear for TJs, and I guess it's just a happy coincidence for them that the mounting for everything in the front is the same as the XJ, but I haven't been able to locate anybody who makes a direct swap for the rear.

Is there maybe some kind of swap kit available? Anybody done this? Did a little searching, but didn't really come up with anything.

Thanks!

Does anybody know of someone that manufactures direct bolt-in rear D44 axle assemblies for XJs? G2 makes front and rear for TJs, and I guess it's just a happy coincidence for them that the mounting for everything in the front is the same as the XJ, but I haven't been able to locate anybody who makes a direct swap for the rear.

Is there maybe some kind of swap kit available? Anybody done this? Did a little searching, but didn't really come up with anything.

Thanks!

Currie Enterprises.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/jeepdana44rearends.aspx

The short answer would be no.G2 probably is selling factory Rubi set-ups,they can be bought almost anywhere.As far as a rear D44,its either an XJ D44 or build/adapt one.

Thanks for the link - any experience with them? Reliable? Quality?

No direct experience, but I have yet to hear a complaint from anyone I've spoken with who is running one. Items you may expect to fail under hard use have, but that's to be expected with any axle.

FWIW, I'll echo the recommendation to run a rebuilt used axle. This is exactly what I'm doing in my 2000 with a D44 out of (IIRC) an '88 XJ, and it's largely been a non-issue. When I got mine, I opened it up to check for any obvious issues. There were none, so all it needed was a locker and disc brakes and it was good to go. Note that I'm not saying this to knock Currie in any way at all, but if you're keeping to a budget (or not building a dedicated rig) it may be a better route to take.

The only problem I've had with it was due to a broken axle breather sometime before last winter hit that I didn't notice - with nearly 4' of snow on the ground, it was sucking in dirt and muck all winter, which resulted in a seal failure and necessitated replacement of the shafts, bearings, and seals. My fault, really, but at least it was a good excuse to upgrade to alloy shafts as Chrysler no longer has OEM D44 shafts available.

Last edited:
FWIW, I'll echo the recommendation to run a rebuilt used axle. ...if you're keeping to a budget (or not building a dedicated rig) it may be a better route to take.

Probably the way I'll go, then. Basically, all I'd be keeping is the tubes and diff housing, right?

FWIW, I bought a 87 XJ Dana 44 for my 1999 XJ. The only things I used was the housing, brake backing plates, and the shafts. I bought all new bearings, new ARB locker/carrier, diff cover, new Spicer gears (4.10s), new brake drums (Craigslist), brake shoes and springs from Napa. Basically all new. I even repainted it. I could not be happier with my choice.

Probably the way I'll go, then. Basically, all I'd be keeping is the tubes and diff housing, right?

Depends on what you want to do. I ran mine 'out of the box' when it arrived, but, further to that:

Just found "stripped" rear D44s on www.4wd.com. I'd just have to weld on the perches and mounts.

I would tend to avoid these solely on cost grounds. For what it looks like they're charging for them, you could build your own for quite a bit less. That's not to knock their product by any means, but it can be done for less with the same end result.

As an example, my D44 came from another member here. I forget who it was (and I'm sure he'll chime in if he sees this), but I got it complete minus brakes (didn't need them anyway), cleaned & repainted, 4.10 gears (needed that), and with the lower shock mounts already relocated into the axle tubes. Total cost was about $750 shipped to L.A. (where I was living at the time) from Michigan, IIRC. Add in the ECTED and a Teraflex rear disc brake kit, and you're still around $500 under the pre-tax cost of that G2 axle; more when you factor in shipping.

One thing you will want to be sure of if you want a drop-in is that it's an XJ-specific D44. You're probably already aware of this, but MJs were spring-under and TJs had coil spring perches. If the perches have been adjusted to suit an XJ it'll be a non-issue, but just be sure to check on that first.

Really, it's your call - but that $500 difference paid for my SYE, rear driveshaft, and part of my front 4.10 gears. Checking the classifieds and chapter forums may be worth your while.

Last edited:
Back