• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 4.0 Laredo fold/manual remote mirrors needed

GregGA

87 Laredo Galloping Ghost
Good Morning,

I am "restoring" my original owner (97,000 miles) Cherokee as a DD and need some reasonably priced, quality, mirror replacements.

What later model mirrors would drop in and would they have the gimbal remote? Or, would some adapt without having a gimbal and I could just
leave the remote on inside for "looks."

I have found some after market stuff that is probably crap, and I heard
the OEM mirrors are crazy on the prices.

Thank you. I wish this forum had exsisted back in 1992 when I started some of the modifications on my baby:eeks1: But I sure am glad it exists now!

Oh, and thanks to 5-90 for an absolutely quality set of battery cables and
superior customer service!

Regards,

Greg

If you don't really need the remote, you could look for OEM Comanche mirrors. They may also have been available on the basest base model Cherokees. Adjusted by pushing on the glass, no remote, and if you are lucky, you can get the inside plastic piece that goes where the remote joystick was.

If you don't really need the remote, you could look for OEM Comanche mirrors. They may also have been available on the basest base model Cherokees. Adjusted by pushing on the glass, no remote, and if you are lucky, you can get the inside plastic piece that goes where the remote joystick was.

You can get the inside plastic piece off Jeeps in the JY that had electric mirrors. No hole.

Thanks for the tips.

How far up in years can I go so that the OEM's would work? Very few Renix models in the junk hards, and the mirrors are in the same shape as mine.

Thank you.

I had heard that later model mirrors would bolt on, but I can't confirm that. Almost all of the older mirrors with the joystick that I've found were broken. They were either seized and the stick didn't work, or the wires were broken and the mirror was flopping around. Both of my mirrors are held in position with silicon (I'm the only driver so no big deal).

If I'd known about 3 months ago I had a pair I could have sent you. They came from the local pull-n-save salvage yard.

Found a pair OEM used on e-bay. Not sure if they are "breakaway" or not, but I can
live without that feature. On previous auctions they sold for $16.50 and $35.00
will advise.

Greg

Won a pair on ebay, OEM, used. $43 including shipping. The seller has a ton of Jeep stuff. Must own a junk yard. Thanks for the tip to try ebay.
Sure beats the price of aftermarket crap and unaffordable dealer prices.
Will let you know the condition.

Greg

Back