• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie just wants a second opinion

Gold Digger

NAXJA Forum User
If this has already been posted I apologize. I was talking to my friend (snow97) about putting a turbo on a trail rig. I don't believe it would be practical because of the heat build up from a trubo, the fact that it really wouldn't spool at such low RPM's, and when it did you would just get wheel spin and possibly have your T-case fail. Would you all agree that it's a bad idea (for a trail rig)? I understand a stroker kit would be the best option but like the title says, I'm just looking for a second opinion. Thanks.

i have wheeled with a couple turbo'd 4.0's

they had none of these issues you speak of.

Im sure someone will chime in with some technical info on how to make it work well on the trail. but it can be done effectively.

Super charger would be the way to go. Force induction at all rpms and it would be directly proportional (in the most part) to needed fuel.

Search Street and Performance. I know there's a couple there, probably one or two here as well. But it has been done and no major complaints seen

Super charger would be the way to go. Force induction at all rpms and it would be directly proportional (in the most part) to needed fuel.

Would a super charger be more effective than a stroker kit? All I hear is to do a stroker.

super charger would cause u problems in the long run and u would have to flash ur ECU to get correct a/f ratio also a stroker will give u more rpms and be alot more reliable .:peace: as for a turbo yes u would need a turbo that is small enough that would boost at low rpms such as a t3 from a eclipse or volvo . with at least a .35 trim also u would need to flash ecu for correct fuel ratio .. and yes at high angles u would starve the turbo for oil unless u are running a dry system with a external oil pump and tank.. and there are many types of turbos to choose from .. oil cooled.. watercooled .. oil and watercooled

Last edited:
super charger would cause u problems in the long run and u would have to flash ur ECU to get correct a/f ratio also a stroker will give u more rpms and be alot more reliable

A properly setup supercharger would cause no problems. Modifying the PCM or adding a piggy back would have to be done for a Turbo anyhow. A stroker will not give you more RPMs.

I have had turbos, but not on a 4.0. The thing about turbos is that they don't make boost at low rpms. So if you are looking for more bottom end for slow going, then this is not the answer. You need the stroker or just another engine with more cubes. However if you are into hill climbing or sand, then this is an excellent option and will give you lots of fun. Also highway performance will be much better without sacrificing milage. The heat thing can be remedied by wrapping the turbo and exhaust. Summit Racing has stuff for this as well as what other car companies do, vent over the turbo.

when you make more power do valves magically stop floating?
That can be fixed and is not the problem with raising the RPM. Raising the RPM will push the engine in to a dangerous harmonic zone caused by the cam and crank. The result could be major engine damage.

I see I still have a lot to think about before choosing one or the other. Is there anyone close by that has some of these things done so I can see first hand how an XJ will react?

Back