• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just picked up a 1997 XJ (SE / Sport?) 5-speed

PoopJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I posted over on jeepforum & forgot after not using it in a while its typically just people trying to see whos d*ck is bigger. After a long lengthy post all i was informed was that my Jeep is an SE not a sport. To cut to the chase I got a 1997 XJ, Vincheck said it was a SE model with 4.0L Straight 6, on installed options page it states the 2.5L 4 cyl. So to square that away I called a local dealer friend & had him put it through there system, they told me 1997 Cherokee Sport 4.0L obviously they could have just told me sport but regardless i didnt know there were SE with 4.0l's Im not saying im a sport model or a SE model i just have 2 sources saying 2 things so i figured of all of them the dealership would know

the rest is coppied from jeepforum to save me from re-typing most of it.

Today I just picked up a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 5-Speed. 2nd owner owned it for the last 9 years and got married, moved (to my home town ironically) and had to sell because of his family plus his wife cant drive stick. I was told this morning from a co-worker driving home from a site visit. On my lunch i checked it out. Very clean forest green cherokee sport 5 speed. No body or frame rust anywhere well taken care of & a fair price. Took it for a test drive on my lunch & shot the sh*t with the owners father. He has a nice list of everything done to it so that he could share the information.

"1997 Cherokee Sport
5-Speed with NP231
155,xxx miles
99+ Intake manifold
Clifford Performance Torque Cam
Clifford Performance Lifters & Springs
Clifford Performance Header
Custom exhaust with 70 series magnaflo muffler
New front pads & rotors
New rear shoes & drums
Newer gauge cluster
Newer Monroe Sencatrac (lifetime warrenty only reason)
Aftermarket wheels (all 5) but i forgot the brand (knockoff D window style)

Basically the thing ran like a top 2wd, 4hi, 4lo all were perfect shifted great drove straight & smooth. I took a dive & bought it.

There are 3 things it needs. 1 thing is really all it needs the other 2 are my preference. It needs new back tires. They are both down to the wear bars so I intent to get tires soon very soon. As in next weekend when I have the cash so I will be driving it 10 days with low tires thats it.

My question is I dont have a ton of money to spare & Im looking for a reliable yet cost efficient All-Terrain Tire. Ive seen general grabber AT2 & they look good but each one everything included is 120$ so roughly 500 when all is said & done. Are there other brands out there that offer a decent all terrain that will get me through some mud yet can be on my daily driver? 235/75/R15 are on there now & i plan to replace them with the same size.

My next question is that the rear leafs are basically level now no more arch yet havent inverted. you can tell that its not perfectly level & i was thinking just slip a spare leaf in there to get some shape back to level it out. I do want to lift it but cost is an issue here. Im not a fan of shackles so I want to do AAL style maybe a small small block if any at all. Basically right now i would be good for 1.5-2" of lift but seeing as they are already low I would need to build back to level then increase. Would anyone know the leaf # or what leaf to pull to get me back to level then maybe add say another inch or so? I might be able to find some ZJ V8 coils in the yard and that should get me like 1" ish up front. I cant afford a full lift kit YET so i figured just 1-1.5 total lift (above stock) after fixing the saggy leaf would be enough to retain stock shocks yet eliminate some rubbing of the 235/75/R15's

I know i can search but it is getting late plus it is a very busy time with me between work, a friends wedding, planning his bachelor party, just moved out, etc.

I recall Camaro spring isolaters from the rear give 3/4" & that ZJ V8 coils give 3/4-1" lift that would be perfect if i could keep stock shocks on for now. The rear are what I have a question about because not only do i need to get it back to stock ride height i need to get it level with the front if i go up say an inch.

Just ZJ V8 coils: what leafs could get me level with 3/4" ish above stock? (remember im flat leafed right now)

V8 Coils & Camaro Spring perches: again same question leaf wise.

I obviously need tires & would hope I can find some off brand yet reliable (both as a DD & in the mud) tires i could afford to have put on. Also, I want my jeep to be level first & hopefully depending on what i may find at the junkyard come home with some parts to lift it maybe an 1" above stock for now. Just seeing as I have saggy leafs currently It will require more work to get it to 1" above stock. I have owned 2 XJ's in the past, 1996 & 1999 & i have installed lift kits that were purchased. Sadly money isnt easy right now so I would like to do my best at the lowest cost possible."

"just lost my post again... saw my sig & sold them M/T with BFG A/T for pennies. damn didnt think i was gunna get a cherokee but after the upset wore off from exploding jeep i wanted a new one Same with the lift. all had like 4-5k on them too went for nothing.99

past is the past so in a fast search here we go...

ZJ V8 Coils: 1-1.5" lift
ZJ V8 Tie-Rods: i kno & i also let those go too on the last one
ZJ sway bar? really? whats the upgrade? thicker? only V8 or all ZJ?
Camaro Spring Isolator: 1.5" (thought they were 3/4" oh well, what years? other makes/models like firebird or the other copycat styles?)
GM Fullsize shackles 95-99: 1.5" lift (will this help my un-arched leafs? i didnt think so but maybe, also does this mean like Chevy GMC 1500 type stuff?)
ZJ spring isolators: harder & stackable (any actual gain or just stronger & stackable? like ZJ V8 coil with ZJ spring isolater = 1.5"? also are they any ZJ or only V8?)

What was this i read about the Dodge Neon injectors? better throttle response? anything on better MPG? or power? also are there specific ones?

Again this really only helps me with the front minus the GM shackles so im still curious what would net me a nice level balance if i were to get say the ZJ coils or things around that nature? I know the usual answer is just buy a bunch & test & go from there. I have a crushed hip thats been rebuilt 2.5x so less time on the ground the better for my physically. Also the junkyard is around 30 min away & as i stated im broke so if a bunch of leafs will cost more money when i would have a decent idea of what to need then i might save some. If im close ill be happy because im trying for this weekend to level it & maybe even get an inch or inch an half outa it. I know its not a science but i will try to upload some ehh blackberry pics so you can possibly get a better idea. Remember im trying to save money & cant afford new shocks so i also dont want to max out the shocks so i figured 1.5" would prolly be the max

Also, Im sure that the U-bolts will be a pain in the a** so i would prolly rather replace. i cant remember if there are any auto stores that might stock the C8.25 U bolts or if i were to add a leaf if i need longer etc etc. (do i have C8.25 on a 97? i dont think its ABS so i thought so?) same goes with the leaf clips & centering pin bolts."

In the past NAXJA has always been more benificial than JeepForum but after not really being on much in the last 8 months i forgot that. stupid me. hopefully i can get more information than someone pointing out "looks like a SE to me". I look forward to your help & information & although i was a prick to the JF guy for his caption obvious information i really do appreciate any and all help.

IMG00287-20100915-1746.jpg

IMG00288-20100915-1746.jpg

IMG00290-20100915-1746.jpg

oof long post, but welcome! who cares if it's a 'sport' or 'se'? JF is good for pictures & buying parts (sometimes) and that's about it.

I run part number 4886186AA leaf springs on my DD and it did about 1 3/4" lift over stock. This is a tad more than you asked about, but not much more by any means. Quadratec.com, morris4x4.com, etc online sell them. I've run them on 2 different XJ's and have been happy with both sets. In the front I run a 3/4" poly spacer and it sits pretty level (with stock isolator left in and new zj (not v8) coils.

For your axle, post up a picture and we'll tell you which it is...but basically, does it have a flat edge at the bottom or is it more rounded? you can get u-bolts for it from the same websites listed above under part number 52004010.

Good luck!

its a C8.25 i believe because i dont think it has ABS. I forgot the inside dimensions so i cant look at the autoparts store. I am trying to get as much as i can done this weekend so ordering things is kinda out of the question for now.

Do the ZJ (non V8) springs add anything?
I cant afford $99 per side to fix my pack currently, I am looking to disassemble the pack similar to a bastard lift but seeing as i cant afford shocks either i figured i wouldnt want to go over the 1.5" total lift above stock. I know about the stacking isolators & such as well as V8 coils. If i cant find any V8 coils are there any benifits of the ZJ coil over a stock XJ?

All in all im trying to make a low bastard lift as i stated ~1.5" max above stock. seeing as my rear leafs are flat as of now it will take more work in the rear than up front. The front i can get a thicker insolator or even the ZJ spring if thats an improvemtn or preferably the V8 ZJ's

the rear is what im wondering. I recall a while back when i got my 99 XJ i was thinking bastard pack & came across someone saying roughly what leaf from what pack slipped in could yield X amount of lift. I need to come up maybe 1/2" - 3/4" to get back to stock i assume & i would like a bit over an inch maybe 1.5" on top of that.

I was thinking get a blazer/S10 leaf taking the 2nd & 3rd or the 3rd & 4th leafs to slip into my pack removing the 2 from the XJs. Like i said i know its trial & error i just get in pain very fast & would like to be as best prepared as i can. Thats why im looking at typical auto parts stores to hopefully find D8.25 U bolts & other things of that nature

i dont have abs im 99.9999% sure.

Will 1-1.5" above stock on stock shocks be okay for a while?
Ayone have info on plain jane ZJ coils over XJ?
Also about the ZJ spring isolators (solid stackable) are they all ZJ or just V8?
Any idea what leaf from what vehicle i should try & slip into the cherokee pack to at least get it level again with some arch in it? also should i remove any of the XJ pack or what?

I will have to call napa, autozone, advanced auto, & crap like that to see if i can get some U bolts & stuff because the nuts are rusty so im sure ill have a blast gettin them out.

non v8 zj coils do not add anything, they are the same as the cherokee i believe. the reason the v8's add is that they are slightly taller but stiffer also due to the extra engine weight

As of now I am thinking the 2nd leaf out of another XJ to slip into my current pack. I will try to see what ones on mine are the most crap looking & maybe replace those as well. From what ive gathered keeping it 2" or under will be okay on stock shocks.

i read that the 2nd leaf below the main on the XJ pack will net 2" on a "good pack" mine isnt good so i figured maybe 1.5" total. between this & hopefully ZJ V8 coils & having a spare spring isolator or 2 should do the trick. Mainly i want some arch back in my leafs & a little extra up

If there is not a large, hard to miss, ABS pump under the hood you have the C8.25. With a 5 speed you should have 3:07 gears.
That's sorta kinda true. d35s were randomly installed when the factory didn't have 8.25s on hand, as well as on all ABS equipped vehicles.

Easy way to check - look at the diff cover.

If there is a half-round "lip" pressed into the edge of the cover most of the way around (with a few small gaps), the top and bottom edges have a straight section, and there are two triangular bits of casting from the diff housing hanging out below the cover at about 5 oclock and 7 oclock (bottom edge of casting is flat) it is an 8.25.

If the cover has a flat edge, is oval shaped with no straight edges anywhere, and the housing has a rounded bottom, it's a dana 35.

Agreed on the gears, though the guy installed other performance parts so you may want to double check to make sure.

The trim levels were somewhat of a guideline, except for silly stuff like pinstriping, bumper/fender flare color, and body molding, options vary wildly. You could (and may people, and dealers, did) order basically whatever combo of drivetrain options you wanted as long as it was above the base requirements for that trim level I think - so a 4.0 in an SE is not a surprise at all. I've been junkyard hunting for two years now and I still haven't seen a 4cyl in ANY XJ/MJ at my local you-pull-it, and I've torn into countless SEs, Sports, Limiteds, Classics, Laredos, Pioneers, Chiefs, even a few Special Editions and Olympic Editions.

With a mild lift you should be fine on stock shocks for a while, heck I've been running stock front shocks on a 3.5" lift and MJ shocks (with a custom crossmember design in the rear, so don't use this as comparison at all lengthwise) in the rear for months now, and before that, stock shocks all around on 3.5". All it'll do is beat the shocks up a little more when you fully expand them, and you have a lifetime warranty on them!

ZJ front coils are a real crapshoot, just looking at the catalog page for them makes my head spin. You can get anywhere from 0 to 2" of lift out of them depending on options (I6 vs V8, regular/country vs upcountry, phase of the moon the day the factory built the vehicle, etc.)

hmm my reply didnt go through. but yea I know how to tell the difference between D35 & C8.25 I was just busy busy seeing as i saw, checked out, test drove, inspected, & worked out a deal all on my hour lunch break (that turned into two hours haha). but i recall seeing a flat bottom so i think im good to go.

Now im thinking maybe take the 2 & maybe 4th leafs out of a doner XJ and seeing how bad mine look. This is what im hoping might get me up 2" which should put me 1.5" above stock ish. I will hopefully find some ZJ V8 coils as well and have a few spare spring isolators in hand because fronts are easy. If anyone has an idea what might get me around 2" maybe a hair more through bastardizing a pack that would be great. I dont want to go much over the 2" max mark because like i said i cant afford shocks.

Also any info ont he stuf above?
Camaro Spring isolators? years? other copycat model cars?
ZJ sway bar? someone said upgrades?
the Inside Diameter of the C8.25 U bolts so i can find them in a store?

The fronts i will have pretty well squared away & i will record / measure my results when this is all said & done. hopefully i can make a nice saturday out of this & get some needed anti-sag & maybe even some ups

I wouldn't buy U-bolts at a chain store, they're usually (a) way too long because they're designed for people doing block lifts and (b) not very strong. I picked up 4 custom-bent U-bolts for my Ford 8.8" swap project for under 50 dollars at a local spring rebuilding shop, just gave them the bolt diameter I wanted (9/16", stock is 1/2" iirc) axle tube diameter (3.25" for an 8.8 but I'm not sure what an 8.25 is) and length from peak of round section to where the threads had to start (bottom of U-bolt plate over springs.)

I understand the whole thing because I had U bolts made when i got the R/C lift kit but the problem is that i work 40 hours a week 1 hour away from where I live. That takes a solid 50+ hours a week where im no where near home & thank you unkleXJ for the link ive skimmed through it & maybe i can use 1 of the springs rather than what he did because i dont want 5" haha. I will try & have some U bolts possibly made just hoping they dont cost me an arm & leg

Non tech reply... but you have an SE. No roof rack provisions and no rub strips on the doors.

As has already been said, if you're happy with it, it doesn't matter what trim level it is. Congrats on the new ride.

werd im sprayin the roof with 3M bedliner prolly cause the dude thought a black hood looked cool so he paid to have it repainted. It doesnt look bad its a really nice finish & everything (i know its not an accident the underside is still green) but he musta seen a few land rovers & got a woody

werd im sprayin the roof with 3M bedliner prolly cause the dude thought a black hood looked cool so he paid to have it repainted. It doesnt look bad its a really nice finish & everything (i know its not an accident the underside is still green) but he musta seen a few land rovers & got a woody

hahaha nah he probably saw those civics with the carbon fiber hoods and thought it might make the jeep faster. Yours is an SE and a really nice one I might add. Like that green!

its very clean & has some stuff done. it drives great & straight. just needs some rear tires but ill be gettin new cheaper ATs hopefully all around. & obviously the but is a little droopy but thus the bastard lifting to level it out an hopefully someone can chime in an lemme know what to do to not only level it but raise the back 1.5"
still curious on the brand of wheels on there, the think i read about a ZJ sway being an upgrade, and comaro spring isolators. the "mods" list is in the begining of the OP

anyone know a few brands that are cheaper but have A/T's? I know general but they want like 119/tire everything installed blah blah but then a friend told me soemthing bout federal "unknown name" tires he got new at the place im going for like 70 ish range

Have you considered going to the local tire shop and looking at take off tires to replace your worn ones.... You can get some really good deals on them while saving up for the tires you really want.
By the way.... Emerald Green was the color I was originally looking for when I purchased my'98..., but decided on Gunmetal Pearl instead....
You located a clean Jeep to purchase.

Back