• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

too much gear= bad mpg?

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
I have 4:56 gears on 32x11.50's bfg M/T right now, and im planning on stepping down to 31x1050x15's in an All terrain for DD'ing, but im wondering if this will actually be worse for my gas mileage considering that i drive quite a bit on the freeway, would a 33x1050 be better on mpg, or am i confused?

You are not confused, 4.56 and 31" tires would be a cool hot rod setup but crusing down the highway, depending on transmission your gonna be turning some high rpms. Right now with a 5sp and 4.56 gears, I have a really good set up, I can hit the gas in overdrive and still have the power to get up hills etc, but I dont like to cruise at over 70 or so because its just suckin gas at that point.
I personally think 4.56 with a auto tranny is a great set up. Sometimes I wish I had bigger tires or 4.11s for the street with the 5speed, but I wouldn't trade the off road benefits.

I just did 400+ miles and managed 17MPG with 31's and 4.88. I also stepped it down to about 67 MPH....

I do not believe that you will notice much difference with moving from just 32 down to 31.

5.38's and 35's, aw4. pretty overgeared. governor kicks in at 91 mph.

cruising at 3000 rpms around 70 mph when the jeep is fully loaded i get about 16 mpg.

I recently did 4.10s with my 33s and I would not have gone any lower just because I like to go fast. I can cruise at 75-80 with ease and if i keep it around 70 it's still not bogging down too bad.

My 4.56 and 33x10.50 setup feels like stock. Then again, I forget what stock feels like. Search for the gearing/tire size charts. There's a million links to that and it shows a breakdown of best power and economy for each combo.

I run 32s on 4.56's and it's pretty deep. My flat ground highway mileage seems to have actually gone down from 31's and 3.55's.

My 4.56 and 33x10.50 setup feels like stock. Then again, I forget what stock feels like. Search for the gearing/tire size charts. There's a million links to that and it shows a breakdown of best power and economy for each combo.

I have looked at that chart before and i think that it suggests 33x12.50 on 4:56, but i feel like it may be better with 31's. I guess i wil have to find out

You will have more OOMPH with the smaller dia tires for sure. I think mileage should still be alright. May take a small dip tho.

4.88's and 35's, my speedo is dead on according to my GPS and I'm running the stock speedo gear. I'm getting around 20mpg on the highway.

P1020426.jpg

I run 31's on stock 3:55 gears and do a lot of highway miles. At 70 I'm turning around 2000 rpm - 80 is up around 2500. Mileage is in the 17 range - I get better mileage on the county roads where you're more limited by Sheriff fund raising efforts, when I keep it around 60~65 I can get 19.

Edit to add: 1997 XJ Sport, 4.0L A4W trans, NP242, 2" budget boost & SYE

Last edited:
i get like 18 mpg in my jeep on a flat drive with 33x1050's and 3.55 gearing in DRIVE not OD in drive at 55 mph im chillin at about 2200 rpm's i dont even like to use OD anymore. in town on the other hand im lucky if i see 13mpg... im sick of the crappy mileage im halfway tempted to swap back to 100% stock again lol

I have 4:56 gears on 32x11.50's bfg M/T right now, and im planning on stepping down to 31x1050x15's in an All terrain for DD'ing, but im wondering if this will actually be worse for my gas mileage considering that i drive quite a bit on the freeway, would a 33x1050 be better on mpg, or am i confused?

What motor and tranny combo? I would think that your gearing with a 5speed is a bit steep, but about perfect for an AW4 equipped rig with a 32" tire,.....based on when I used to run this combo.

FWIW, gearing charts can't factor in variables that will effect your mileage such as added resistance from larger tires, lifted rigs, HD bumpers, winches, trail gear, elevation, terrain, etc. They usually are based on a 1:1 final drive ratio as well and don't factor in OD.

Last edited:
yeah its aw4/4.0, and currently on 32's it seems to get real bad gas mileage, currently i topped off on gas and am waiting to go fill back up to see how many mpg i get, but im gona need help doing the math because my speedo is way off, it says that im going way faster than i really am i think

if it says ur faster then u really are then ur already overgeared from stock. what i find amazing is people who get as much as or more than the amount of mpg that stock xj's do. if ur getting 20 mpg on 35s thats ungodly since 20 is about the most a stock xj will get. im always blown away by the fact that people seem to atleast think they get stock mpg on big air sails such as an xj on big tires and a lift

i currently run 33s with 4.56s in my 2001 and compared to when I was running 32s with the same 4.56s it is not as good gas mileage (driven at 70mph and my speedo gear has been changed both times) I can tell you that.

if it says ur faster then u really are then ur already overgeared from stock. what i find amazing is people who get as much as or more than the amount of mpg that stock xj's do. if ur getting 20 mpg on 35s thats ungodly since 20 is about the most a stock xj will get. im always blown away by the fact that people seem to atleast think they get stock mpg on big air sails such as an xj on big tires and a lift

i'm averaging 20 on my stock 98 with an aw4. i have plenty of friends who have turned 22, 23 and even 24 mpg highway on a stock xj with an ax15.

best i got with 4.56s and 33s was 20mpg.. that was with no gear, no spare, and a few less pieces of armor than i had when the jeep was done. averaged 16.5mpg driving across the country.. 8200 miles, with a passenger and a shit ton of gear. sam (ktmracer419.. he posted on page 1) averaged 15.5 with 2 passengers and slightly less than a shit ton of gear.

go deep.

i'm averaging 20 on my stock 98 with an aw4. i have plenty of friends who have turned 22, 23 and even 24 mpg highway on a stock xj with an ax15.

best i got with 4.56s and 33s was 20mpg.. that was with no gear, no spare, and a few less pieces of armor than i had when the jeep was done. averaged 16.5mpg driving across the country.. 8200 miles, with a passenger and a shit ton of gear. sam (ktmracer419.. he posted on page 1) averaged 15.5 with 2 passengers and slightly less than a shit ton of gear.

go deep.

geez, I wish I could get 20mpg with 33s. Of course, like opposite of you, I have heavy rigidco bumpers, roof rack, spare tire, tools, etc so it adds considerable weight. I have jsut come to live with "you buy a jeep, the last thing you should even think about it MPGs"

"you buy a jeep, the last thing you should even think about it MPGs"

Im with ya their man, the sad thing is that i offroad maybe two to three times a year, so if the jeep isnt my DD, then i would have to get rid of her and it would kill me to get rid of a car that i waited so long for and worked so hard to get, so its a tough thing.LoL

Back