• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what tool chest would you recommend?

austinaubinoe

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking for a pretty substantial tool chest because my tools are all over the place. I was browsing the snap on sight, and those things are close to 10 grand. I had no idea these things were so expensive!

how much did you guys spend on your big tool chest?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Used...QptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools#ht_768wt_1167

Used is probably the way to go! This one is only 2.5 hours away, and only 30min from carlisle, pa. Ill be there for spring carlisle at the end of september.

This one is only an hour drive! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Snap...QptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools#ht_500wt_1182

I believe I get a lifetime warrantee on any snap on product, even if I am not the original owner. Is this true? Oh and as You can see Im a big fan of all the crazy colors snap-on offers!

Last edited:
The "General" brand from Harbor Freight makes REALLY nice boxes (no, really.). I paid almost 6 grand for my Matco set-up and will never do it again.

~ James

I though harbor freight only sold smaller chest and carts? Did you buy your matco chest new?

I bought my Matco new off the truck with a craftsman trade in about 8-9 years ago:

DSCN1329.jpg

But, you should really check out the General brand, they have very nice boxes for the money!

These are often on sale for $1599. You can also use the 20% off coupon.

image_2065.jpg

Here is a full set from US General.

image_4671.jpg

All from Harbor Freight.

I have the US General and love it. This thing is the best built inexpensive tool box I have seen. Blows Craftsmen, Costco and some of the Proto's away.

man... after seeing the prices some of you pay for tool chests...

... it makes me want to start a company making them!

:shocked:

I can take a whole month off work and use the time to build a 100% solid oak tool chest (with materials I bought) and STILL save money vs those!

I have a MAC 11-drawer workstation that I picked up in A&P school. I like how it's set up, but there's no way I'd pay full retail for it. It's nice to have a nice flat top that you can work on. I put a piece of clear lexan over the top so I could stick pictures and whatnot underneath.

I have the US General and love it. This thing is the best built inexpensive tool box I have seen. Blows Craftsmen, Costco and some of the Proto's away.

I also have one of the large US General boxes. It is pretty heavy gauge metal, powder coated, and has nice roller drawers. I can't really fault anything about it. It is way nicer than even most of the top of the line boxes at Sears.

yeah, but then you would have a wooden tool box. Who wants one of those? :D

I don't, but saving enough money to buy another of any two of my vehicles is a pretty powerful argument!

For 6 grand, I'd expect the chest to come with its own hydraulic lift of some sort. For the record I went with a Craftsman chest. I think it cost $250 on sale.

I was looking at craftsman just for the heck of it and they all felt little cheap.

I dont think I could ever bring myself to drop $1500 at harbor freight either.

I think ill probably end up buying a used Snap On one. Any body know about there warrantee?

For 6 grand, I'd expect the chest to come with its own hydraulic lift of some sort. For the record I went with a Craftsman chest. I think it cost $250 on sale.

X2, I could believe the price of a new snap on chest. I knew they were a pricey brand, but DAMN that what I bought my jeep for!

I have a Blue Point which is Snap On's off brand. Picked up both top and bottom box for $800 from my Matco dealer. The only thing I would recommend when buying a box is to make sure it has ball bearing draws.

dscn0111yz8.jpg

Thanks for the reviews on HF I've been looking for a chest looks like I'll go that way :D

The only recommendation I can give you is to buy something bigger than you can ever imagine needing, you will fill it up
x2 on that. I bought a snap on classic 78, its 54 inches wide, 2 feet deep and over three feet tall(59 inches). I filled it up the day i got it. My next box is the classic 96 which is what jeepman401 has. Not my picture, but heres the same box as mine, color and all. I also have the stainless steel top that goes with it
toolboxpictures001.jpg

tool storage boxes are waaaaayyyy over rated. unless of course you NEED one. most boxes are on wheels because you may be tranfered to a differant work station and such if you are a professional mechanic. are you? if this is for your garage, get anything cheap that will hold and hide your tools. even garage sales will have some old ones that will work just fine. back in the late 70s early 80s, my highschool had an awsome autoshop. filled with snap-on, matco, proto, 2 lifts, even about 10 complete engines we could take apart and reassemble. but not one tool storage box. all the walls had huge wooden cabinets that were about 8 foot wide and about a foot deep. they swung open and everything was hanging inside the doors and on the back panels. specialty tools like valve grinders and such had their own boxes and were stored away in cabinets and such. point being is that unless you NEED to be moving the box around to bring ALL your tools to the vehicle, dont bother. get a small cart for just what you need for the project. otherwise your tools will all end up out of the box anyhow. im 45 years old and still have my first craftsman non roller slides box from when i was 16 and it still holds tools. imagine that. through the years ive picked up cheap boxes and use them too. but my best boxes are the old school filing cabinets ive picked up cheap from here and there. they can be stuffed full of heavy parts and larger tools and slide even better when full. i have about 8 of those 4 drawer filing cabinets and a few shorter but wider ones. impressive looking? no, but nobody looks at them wanting to steal them either. untill they see whats inside of course. if they need to look like tool boxes you can plaster stickers all over them. the only time my rollaway tool boxes move is maybe during an earthquake, or when i slam the drawer too hard looking for a tool that is most likely on the decklid of the car im working on. other than that those things dont move. if you want to impress your buddies, get the biggest snap-on, mac, matco, whatever, box you can. if not, just get a low cost, even used box and take the rest of that cash and buy new tires, and wheels, and lockers, gears, geeeze for the 10Gs of that snap on, you could build one hell of a killer jeep. BUT, if you are a professional mechanic, get the best snap-on box you can and fill it. your boss will know your serious about your carreer choice.

Im not a professional mechanic. But my dad is a pretty big woodworker. Used to do it professionally. We have a shop full of Jet equipment. and tools are all over the place! were getting ready to sell are suburban house and buy a farm house somewhere (divorce :( )
But anyways, my dad kinda promised me the ultimate garage since were gonna have HUGE amounts of space.

Still anybody know if the awesome snap on warrantee carries over for the life of the product?

Oh and I really like that lime green, but will probably try and find something in a darker shade!

Last edited:
Back