• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lost keys

bugler30

NAXJA Forum User
probably been covered but is search and got 5 bazillion results and didn't see anything relevant.

I lost my keys to my 89 Cherokee and dont have spares. Anyone know if locksmiths can pull the key code using the VIN on this old of a rig? and how much does that usually cost? I have another steering column but I'd rather not have to pull the steering column if I can avoid it...

I lost the keys to a ZJ one time, I just called a local mobile locksmith. They said they were gonna charge me $90 to come out and make a replacement. Didnt have to use the VIN or anything. Luckly I found the keys about an hour before he was gonna come out.

If your missing the keys for the ignition go to the auto parts and pick up a new lock cylinder for $10. All you have to do is pull the steering wheel and one bolt to replace it.

I just had the Stealership make a new key for the 98. All I needed was the registration and an ID to prove I was the owner. I think it was around $10. For me, better than replacing ALL of the locks...

Pretty sure 91 or 92 or so is the cutoff but don't quote me on it... basically any AMC manufactured vehicle is not going to be in Chrysler's key-cutting database.

I'd hit the junkyard and pick up a full set of cores and a key for ten or fifteen bucks.

easiest is take proof of ownership to dealership and let them cut a key from vin...... they charge $20 to do it around here.

Pretty sure 91 or 92 or so is the cutoff but don't quote me on it... basically any AMC manufactured vehicle is not going to be in Chrysler's key-cutting database.

I'd hit the junkyard and pick up a full set of cores and a key for ten or fifteen bucks.
Mine was a 1995. Some vehicles 99 or newer have the transponder Key which is more expensive. But Chrysler has all of it in their computers.

any of the early GM style columns all take the same type of keys, pretty much all of the older GM truck columns. go to the junkyard and hunt for keys, looking for columns in chevy trucks that look similar to yours. There are only so many combinations chances are you'll find one close enough, especially with a worn key and a worn lock cylinder.

If you do end up pulling it apart Shelbyluvv did a good writeup about replacing the lock cylinder on the early style column here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=939364

If you have AAA they will pay the lock smith fee for you... When I got my XJ it had no keys for the doors. But I do have separate door ignition keys...

If your key was for the doors and ignition take the glove box to a lock smith and they should be able to make a key based off that.

The glove box lock on 91-96 only has 3 of the wafers so they may not be able to do it based off that one. 97up and renix years I'm not sure.

Interesting. Single or double sided keys? Separate door locks/ignition or all one key? I'll have to swipe the next RENIX era glovebox latch I see and gut it to see what's up.

I just had the Stealership make a new key for the 98. All I needed was the registration and an ID to prove I was the owner. I think it was around $10. For me, better than replacing ALL of the locks...

I remember reading about that years ago - that this was an option... and then when I went there to attempt to get it done, despite the fact that it was utterly impossible to get anyone's attention if I wasn't buying a new car - they told me that they could make me a copy of MY key on a copy-cutter but they had no idea what I was talking about in terms of making a new original... but then again it is los angeles and there aren't a lot of people with a full set of cards in the deck around here... frustrating though!

The dealership won't have any info to make a new key on an 89. The ignition key doesn't match the doors anyway.

Honestly the quickest and cheapest way is to replace the lock cylinder yourself. An 89 is a standard GM core which is $15 at NAPA. The door lock cylinders are $12.

but if the OP doesn't have the original key- they'll still have the problem then of having to get replacement cylinders for the doors AND ignition AND liftgate... sound like a much SMARTER more efficient idea is to pay for the replica key!

but if the OP doesn't have the original key- they'll still have the problem then of having to get replacement cylinders for the doors AND ignition AND liftgate... sound like a much SMARTER more efficient idea is to pay for the replica key!

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but the early Renix Jeeps had different ign and door keys right? At least mine are different types of keys. Mine look like this.
http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/cgi-bin/partsSQL/search.cgi?query=key+blanks+GW+1989

Last edited:
Back