• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I kill my hub assembly?

iafr8e

NAXJA Forum User
While removing my hubs to replace a worn u-joint, I figured I would do both sides since I was there, passenger side hub was tit as I replaced it a year ago. I used a puller to help on the drivers side as I had used before with great results but this time unfortunately it started to separate my hub/flange. I noticed what was happening and used the axle nut to press things back together.

The hub is still stuck in the knuckle even after using all the tricks I can find, but it's showing signs of letting go. So my question is this. After I get the hub out, should I replace it with a new one after what happened or just clean it up with a wire brush and re-install with grease?

Thanks for any help in advance.

This is why I won't use either a puller, or a slide hammer on that unit hub bearing. IMO, that bearing is destroyed, and would replace it before moving the XJ.

Remove the 3 hub retaining bolts, locate a socket, bolt, or ratchet extension like in the picture and turn the steering wheel. The unit hub will pop loose.

standard.jpg

Never heard of that one, sounds like the way to go if trying to save the old one. Now i got a new one for the old bag of tricks.

Whenever ive pulled mine it has been to replace them so i just beat it out with a hammer.

When I replaced mine a few years ago they slid out easily since the gears and carrier were removed a few times over the years.
Whenever I remove the hub assemblies I apply Loc-Cease to the hub housing to ensure ease of removal next time.
For those of you that live in the Snow Belt; this probably would benefit you.....

I've reused a hub that came apart from pulling, and it lasted a while. ON an old vehicle it's hard to judge how much you're shortening the life of something like this, but I think you can count on its being shortened. I think your best bet is to replace it, but if it was good when you started, you might get some more life out of it, and there's little harm in trying. Just make sure, as others have said, to clean out the bore in the knuckle and put plenty of anti-seize on it and the bolts, so that if and when the hub fails, it will be an easy job to replace next time.

If you must use a puller, spin the hub nut back on finger-tight first, and you'll avoid pulling it apart.

Back