• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Howe MC?

IRN GYNT

NAXJA Forum User
I have a TJ slave cylinder that goes with the NV3550 going into my '88.

Bore size of this slave cylinder is just a hair under 13/16".

I can go with either a 3/4" (smaller bore then slave) or 7/8" (larger bore then slave) Howe Racing G3 MC. Both cost the same.

Which one would you recommend I go with? Should I be concerned with blowing out seals on the slave with a larger bore MC?

You risk not fully disengaging the clutch by running a larger slave cylinder since the smaller master cylinder needs to travel further to send the correct volume of fluid.

I'd go with the 3/4" bore. You always want to match the master/slave bores at a 1:1 ratio.

EDIT: I read that wrong but I'd still go with the 3/4" bore MC.

You risk not fully disengaging the clutch by running a larger slave cylinder since the smaller master cylinder needs to travel further to send the correct volume of fluid.

Makes sense.

I'd go with the 3/4" bore. You always want to match the master/slave bores at a 1:1 ratio.

EDIT: I read that wrong but I'd still go with the 3/4" bore MC.

Now you have me confused (which isn't hard to do). 3/4" MC would be smaller then the 13/16" slave cylinder.

Also, there are two different MC's offered by Howe:

3/4" only specifically for clutches:

http://www.howeracing.com/p-7756-clutch-master-cylinder.aspx

And their G3 MC's:

http://www.howeracing.com/p-7794-g3-master-cylinder.aspx

For $10 more, the G3 just looks like the better MC.

You said your slave cylinder was a hair under 13/16". How did you measure this?

A "hair" under 13/16" seems like it would more closely match a 3/4" MC.

I'm no mechanical engineer, but I doubt you'll have problems disengaging the clutch with cylinders that close in bore.

I'd rather do that then risk blowing out the seals in the slave with a larger MC.

Did you call the place and speak with one of their technical guys yet?

For informational purposes, according to my research:

stock '88 clutch M/C has a 11/16" bore
stock '00 clutch M/C has a 18mm bore
(I think all years were about the same size)

Howe G3 3/4" bore which is slightly larger then both

'00 slave cylinder has a 13/16 bore (about 20.5mm)

Back