• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission ?

xj_chef

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93xj with 4.0L Aw4. 4x4
it has 264,168 the last time the diffs, trans, transfer case were even touched was '03 at 189,993.
so I was going to do transfer case and diffs (fluid changes) soon.
now I'm thinking about the tranny.
do I change filter an just the amount of fluid lost from pan.
or do I change filter and flush the whole tranny?
thanks

Last edited:
When you do just the pan/filter you replace about 3.5-4 quarts out of 13 quarts. Do the poor man's flush are replace it all.

Make sure you remove the fill plug on the transfer case FIRST. They like to seize, and if you drain it before getting the fill plug out--Ooops!

Yep to both.

Just don't let the tranny run dry, that isn't good for it. Ideally you would add the new fluid at the same rate the old fluid gets pumped out. The flush machine the garage I worked at for a few years did that, it had a pair of reservoirs and a flow meter and two pumps and would pump new fluid in at the same rate the tranny pumped the old fluid out.

Should I change the filter before or after the flush?

Do it before, and you will already have replaced 3.5-4 quarts, so then you will only have to flush out about 8.5-9 quarts in the poor man's flush.

Good luck.

EDIT: the filter is really just a screen.

The filter in the AW4 do not need to be changed unless it is broken or the transmission have broken parts in it which clog the filter. It is a metal (brass/bronze) filter. I cleaned mine only once because I had to replace the shift solonoids at about 150,000 of the now 265,000 miles of the XJ. I do a poor mans flush about every 60,000 miles.

After seeing what the filter is made of the condition of the oil/internals of the AW4, I would not drop the pan to clean the filter.

it's like 25-50 bucks depending on where you buy it. The one I got was made by ATP and the part number was B112, it came with a pan gasket.

It is not worth the time and hassle, it is indeed just a screen and if anything large enough to be stopped by the screen is in the pan... your transmission isn't going to be lasting long enough (with or without a flush) to bother dumping that kind of money into it anyways.

Flush and forget, if it breaks, pull it out and do a rebuild or just swap in a new junkyard unit.

Check out the Jeep Speed forum to see what, if anything, they recommend.

The AW4 is a very good transmission. With its electronic controls you won't see stuff like B&M shift kits/transpaks.

I might have seen a performance torque converter ad somewhere.

Back