• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 mj been sitting for a year. ??s

alek21

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 91 mj thats been sitting for about a year or so. i bought it not running, put a starter, new battery, new fuel, new oil, new trans oil, spark plugs, spark plug wires. it starts up and runs well. i still need to get it a new muffler and cat, but before i do that and get it smogged i want to make sure its good and reliable for a DD.. what else would you guys replace/do to it to ensure a good DD? 4.0l was supposedly replaced with one from a 96xj with 55k with the previous owner. auto trans and 4wd if it matters. thanks guys

Keep a close eye on your fuel rail and fuel lines.. if they haven't already, they will spring leaks and spray fuel on your exhaust header... I'm surprised my XJ hasn't burned to the ground. I would also change out the fuel filter.. its cheap and easy to swap out.

Good luck.

I would say new diff fluids & coolant, check all the seals you can for leaks, grease all u-joints, and fittings including DS slip yokes and make sure they have no binding or grinding, make sure the calipers and wheel cylinders are not seized or leaking, give all the wheels a spin and feel for any bearing roughness. Check e-brake cable is not sticking.

I would add giving the brake lines a once over for any leaking as well as the fuel lines.

thanks guys, and the guy kept it in his garage the whole time, so weather couldnt get to it..

anything else?

Well, older vehicle, been sitting.

I would flush the brake fluid. Brake fluid is Hygroscopic--it pulls moisture from the atmosphere. Needs to be changed about every two-three years/30k miles. I would consider changing all the flexible brake lines. Have you inspected the brakes yet?

Did you flush the transmission or just drop the pan and replace the filter and that fluid? Pan drop is about 3.5-4 quarts, you should consider a poor man's transmission flush, replacing the rest of the 13 quarts of fluid.

Hoses and serpentine belt. Replace them all.

X2 on flushing the brake fluid. If you did the rest of the tune-up, might throw a new air filter in too and clean the throttle body. Even with new fuel, no telling how long the old fuel was sitting in it.

x3, Joe hits another home run :D in addition to the fluid absorbing moisture, any dust or debris in the lines tends to settle in the calipers. Also the inside of the lines can soften and start to break down. best to replace versus finding out the hard way when one bursts or a caliper won't grab.

I would give all the hoses and the belt a once over as well, rubber dry-rots pretty quickly even if it was in storage, things tend to break down when they sit no matter how well you prep and store them.

Any mice in the area it was stored? xDumptruckx on here had his 06 Scion in storage while he was in Iraq and came back to find most of the wiring chewed up under the hood by mice. I also had a buddy pick up a 58 ford pickup that was stored in someones garage for 10 years, looked beautiful and ran great - but the first time he tried to use the heater dog food shot out of the vents :D it looked like some field mice had moved into the hot air tubes under the dash and built quite a stock pile of food over the years :roflmao:

thanks guys, ill look over everything real good, and flush the brakes.. well it was in a guys garage in adelanto. i dont think thats a mice area, but idk lol.. havent had a chance to work on it sine its being stored about an hour and a half away from me, so ill have a list next time i go up there hah.

thanks again,

any other suggestions?

havent had a chance to work on it sine its being stored about an hour and a half away from me, so ill have a list next time i go up there hah.

thanks again,

any other suggestions?

I know how that is, my damn XJ is up at Leeps place and I'm in LA :(

Back