• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Real Stupid AC clutch questions...

kastein

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So, here goes...

Short story: will a 96 XJ's AC compressor clutch fit a 98 XJ's compressor?

Long story / reasoning so far:
I have a '98 XJ (specs in sig, but it's a 4.0, AW4, factory AC) that has an issue with the AC. I determined it did not have a significant freon leak as it had pressure in it when I bought it. Checked the high and low side pressure switches with my DMM, since they are in series I deduced that both need to be closed (or both open) for the ECU to trigger the clutch solenoid. Checked my FSM and this was correct. One was closed, one was open, so I put the DMM on the one that was open and added freon very slowly until it closed. This way I know I didn't overcharge the system, at worst I undercharged it and will spring for the proper gauges if so.

As soon as I plugged the pressure switches back in the AC attempted to kick in, the only problem is that the clutch is completely, utterly hosed. It was seized up so I used the old "poke it with a long stick" method to see if it just had a shim clearance issue. It immediately made some pretty horrible noises and sorta kicked in. By sorta I mean it was turning, but nowhere near as fast as the belt and I could see that one side was further in than the other so it was wobbling badly. I'm assuming this, and the horrible noise, mean I really should expect to be putting a whole new clutch in it...

... but being the cheap bastard that I am, I'm trying to determine if I can take the clutch assembly off the broken compressor in my '96. It's another Sanden compressor with the same mounting bolt pattern, also intended for R-134a, the only difference is the AC line attachments. They are the stupid flare fittings on the 96 compressor, which is why it's now junk, they were seized and snapped off when I tried to remove the lines :smsoap:

Anyone got a Sanden parts catalog that can prove this one way or another? All I really need to know is if Sanden provides the same clutch kit for a 94.5-96 and a 97-up XJ compressor.

Also, anyone got a link to the thread where the clutch replacement instructions live? I tried my usual google-fu but couldn't find it, I know I've seen it though. I don't really want to booger up any of the compressors I have, because...

... it's gonna be playing a game of musical chairs with the compressors, the good 97-up compressor I got is going into the MJ as part of the full-on R134a retrofit I'm doing, the R12 compressor from the MJ is going into the 96 XJ to act as an air compressor for OBA purposes, the broken R134a compressor from the 96 XJ is hopefully getting gutted for parts to fix the 98 XJ's compressor... :looney:

I'm going to start on the 98 first if I can't find the thread, because the clutch is already hosed on it so I can't make it much worse.

Anyone who makes it as far as reading this line after that rambling post gets a cookie and a beer if I ever meet you

What's the compressor PN/model on the 96? Hit Sanden's website and run through the parts lists/references?

edit-hmm, not seeing any clutch info listed there. I found detailed info there before, probably looking in the wrong place.

Don't know if any of this will be useful, but my 97 has the 4691 compressor (Jeep PN 55037205), and the clutch has 1AV73SU printed on the face.

edit 2 - The Service Guide is what is what I looked at previously. Mentions of a sealed HD, and then references to "All", but no specific numbers.

Last edited:
I believe they do. I recall reading in another forum that the compressor bodies are the same. The 97+ use a clutch with a "non-replaceable" bearing. In the 96-, you can change out the bearing.

There was a difference in the clutch plate with one being spline and the other keyed, but if you keep them "paired" together, you should be good. I'll search around and see if I can find the thread.

Hmmm I don't think I posted in that thread... but I have seen it before, I knew it was around here somewhere :looney: thanks!

I found Atl-Atl's thread about gutting/destroying a compressor in my searching (best line in the thread - "At this point I realized I dont know what the f im doing. Oh well on with the destruction." :roflmao:) but somehow completely missed Zuki-Ron's post with the link to that thread.

The 96 compressor has 709T cast into the top, the 97-up one has 709T A17 cast into it, and is a U4691 according to the label. Atl-Atl's 99 compressor has U4722 on the label, but still has the 709 casting on the housing. The compressor in the catalog is listed as one number for 97-98 and another for 99-up so that probably explains the U4691 vs U4722 difference. Couldn't find the label on the 96 compressor, but hey, it's a 709 family...

Sorry for the confusion, I meant in Atl-Alt's thread.

That was a great line!!

Back