• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Permatex gas tank repair - yay or nay?

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
So I managed to punch a hole in the lower half of my gas tank (1990 XJ) on the weekend. It is larger than a pinhole but not a gash by any means. Crossing some deactivations on the weekend my tailpipe hit the ground and that pushed the ubolt hanger into the tank and made a small hole. It was a glancing blow, not like the ubolt punched right through. The trip was totally worth it though.

Anyway, I found this Permatex gas tank repair and it seems like it is intended to be a permanent repair, as opposed to a 'temporary, get me home' type thing.

Any experiences with it? I can get a new tank for about $205 Can but the way I am wheeling these days it might just be cheaper to patch the old one and keep some of that Permatex handy.

I have used JB Weld for repairs to fuel systems and even a tranny pan once. Not sure for your application but JB holds up to gas if you let it cure long enough.

Can't speak for permatex but I like most jeepers have used jb weld and it works great if you let it cure long enough. I would patch the current tank and then look into getting a gas tank skid to prevent any problems in the future.

I should have also recommended that you carry JB Weld with you on the trail. I carry it in the spare parts box and won't go trail riding without it.

Back