• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Alternator Choices...

Senior_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
((Fyi, yes i did my research, LoL!!))

-So after alot of searching, i cant seem to find a 200 amp alternator cheaper then the $399 Mean Green, & a $363 Powermaster from summit. Im lookin to spend round the $200 mark, & ebay has the only cheaper options. Im just afraid that, "u get what u pay for" will come into affect with a $200 buck, 200amp alt from ebay!!

-I already have a beefed up 140amp alt in the stock location & its just not doin the job!! Im also thinkin of doing this mod, http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=996363&highlight=alternator+relocation, & was wondering if any type of alt could be used with custom bracketry, so that i can spread out my options??

-I know the WJ's have the alt in my 1995's AC compressor location, so what about usin that bracketry & see what aftermarket alts the WJ's have available??

-FYI, i have the 4.0L HO motor,, i just put in a brand new yellow top,, i swapped in all new 2g wiring,, & installed some heavy duty inline fuse blocks & splitters.

Thanks,
SeniorXJ

That e-bay one looks like a good deal. I would want to independantly test the output but there's no reason not to trust a seller with 94% rating. I just might buy one of these myself.

Some time last year on rockauto I saw a 200A Delco for around 100$

That e-bay one looks like a good deal. I would want to independantly test the output but there's no reason not to trust a seller with 94% rating. I just might buy one of these myself.

-Did some background on these ebay alt's & they have a bunch of bad reviews!! Looks like a "u get what u pay for" type of situation!! An alternator is deffinately somethin u want made well so the ebay option is now OFF of the table!!

-Fyi, id rather try a 200amp aftermarket alt before running a dual battery setup. Figured id mention this cauz i know thats the 1st bit of advice given in this situation. Besides, my alt is a stocker packed up with more copper to get the estimated 140amps. This only works for a short period as the stock housing is small & will eventually fry itself quicker so im gonna need a new alt soon anyways!!

Thanks!!

Out of pure curiosity just what are you trying to run that you need to constantly make that kind of power?

Heck in my TJ I was running 3 JL 10W6's on a JL 1000/1 behind the seat and a 500w 6 Channel on a stock alternator with one red top and it was just ignorant loud. It DB'd out around 150 with the hardtop on.

The limiting factor I ran into was the optima. If you hook up to draw power from the side mount terminal it can and will melt the battery top. The strap that connects from the top post mount to the side post is the choke point in the system. Its only small like maybe 10 or 12 ga.

Also, maybe find a good local guy that winds up alternators and have em make you a 150-ish amp alt.

You could also check out autozone and look at part number 12329, it's a 160A alt designed to use the newer 97+ plug in connection. It will fit with a little bit of grinding on the brackets, and it's a little bit bigger case so maybe it could be rewound to get closer to 200A.

wrecker?

i had a mate put in a 300 amp thing (i couldnt believe it either, it was abou the size of a football! and no, we don't know what it was off!) onto his sedan. took it apart, regreased bearings, degreased housing, new brushes, voila!

I have a 110/170 Powermaster. Consider the split too, you will only get top output at a certain RPM...a 200amp alternator doesn't give you 200 amps at idle. I had to grind for the powermaster, it also doesn't have a plug connector, it requires cutting the plug and using two ring terminals. You can have cheap or you can have reliable...don't expect to find 200amps for $200 though...and oh yeah...what in the world are you running?

I have a 110/170 Powermaster. Consider the split too, you will only get top output at a certain RPM...a 200amp alternator doesn't give you 200 amps at idle. I had to grind for the powermaster, it also doesn't have a plug connector, it requires cutting the plug and using two ring terminals. You can have cheap or you can have reliable...don't expect to find 200amps for $200 though...and oh yeah...what in the world are you running?

-Yes i kno the difference in idle VS its max output. Powermaster ALSO makes a 200 amp alt for my XJ for $363 from summit racing. How has ur powermaster worked for you?????

-My accessory list is long, stereo, lights, etc, & just turning on the roof lights, (5 KC Daylighters), & my KC driving lights that are always on acting as daytime running lights, is enough to drop a full 2 volts from the charging system!!!!

I've had the Powermaster for about a month, I almost took my finger off with the grinder...its almost healed...otherwise, it has been just great, though I had to install it from the top cause the thing wouldn't fit between the frame rail and the RE stabilizer.

I've had the Powermaster for about a month, I almost took my finger off with the grinder...its almost healed...otherwise, it has been just great, though I had to install it from the top cause the thing wouldn't fit between the frame rail and the RE stabilizer.

Thank you emsjeep!! What did u pay for urs & where'd u get it from??

Thanks for all the replies guys!! Much appreciated!!

Thank you emsjeep!! What did u pay for urs & where'd u get it from??

Thanks for all the replies guys!! Much appreciated!!

I had to replace it in an emergency, I paid alot, just about what Quadratec charges, but I got it within 24 hours.

Back