• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalling question

cbarton

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj with 116k intake is the only mod.

It started throwing cel's and i had them checked and it had said random misfire and iac and it will sputter out and die if it just sits there, So I have replaced the iac and searched around for other solutions, I read up about the tps and that it may cause the situation that I am dealing with.

Can anyone help with more information or anything like this, It's getting to the point where I feel like something worse is going to happen.

Post up the actual numeric codes.

Codes are a diagnostic tool--not a part for part change out command.

Yup....as Joe mentioned, with codes the devil is in the details.

Post the entire 4 digit codes here for comment.

Oh and with stalling, a marginal battery is not uncommon for a root cause. You can have a battery strong enough to st art the engine, but marginal enough to confuse the engine management system. LOAD TEST it to be sure.

I don't the code on me but it was stating a low voltage relay for the tps A relay.

I just cleaned out the throttle body and it helped balance out the bouncing tach, but I believe the tps sensor is shot.

Is there anyway to test the tps sensor before I buy a new one?

P0122 is TPS low input. Code set criteria is TPS signal at PCM goes below .1 volt for more than 3.2 seconds. Possible causes:

TPS 5-volt supply circuit open
TPS signal circuit shorted to ground
TPS wiring harness intermittent defect
Powertrain control module
TPS internal fault

also ck alt output. I had one the other day that kept setting sensor codes, as soon as you cleared them, total different codes would re-appear. Turned out the alt was bad

Unplug the TPS sensor connector. You'll see three wires in the sensor, colored brown/ yellow, orange/ dark blue, orange. Key off, check brown/ yellow for continuity to ground (ohms on meter) should have ground. Key on, check orange for 5 volts. Plug connector back in if ok so far, use a small probe (paperclip is too large) to push past the weather seal and against the connector pin from behind, this is known as backprobing and checking the circuit while in operation. Backprobe the orange/ dark blue wire in the center of the connector. Key on engine off, monitor voltage, sweep throttle slowly and watch for smooth change in voltage with no dips or spikes indicating faulty wiper in TPS.

If all that checks out ok, disconnect TPS connector, disconnect the black PCM connector and locate pin 23 by removing the protective shield from the back of the connector and noting pin locations as marked. Check continuity between both ends of the orange/ dark blue wire, move wire harness around to see if the circuit goes open. You will probably have found something by this point.

Back