• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Recovery Vehicle

CamoChero

NAXJA Forum User
OK folks, well after looking at my moderately built XJ for about 4 months now, I have decided to purchase a second vehicle which will allow me to go nut's with my Jeep. I want to turn it into a recovery vehicle. Now what that boils down to is I want my jeep prepared for everything. I have already decided on my basics, but I'm sure I have overlooked something. Here is my list, let me know what you think, and what you would add to it. Keep in mind, I don't have unlimited resources, so if you suggest a $5000 addition, I'm gonna let you know it's not gonna happen...

1. 6" lift
2. 33" tires of some sort
3. 10 gallon water tank/air tank
4. 2 Highlift jacks
5. Fully stocked tool box/w pneumatic tools
6. Welder of some sort
7. Misc. spare parts (since I run with other XJ's, it will be mostly XJ parts, however I will throw in some universal parts) Suggestions?
8. Multiple tire patch kits
9. Winch (front and rear)
10. Fluids of all varieties -brake, coolant, power steering, tranny, blinker ;)
11. Hoses and tubes
12. Standard recovery gear bag (d-rings, pulleys, extra rope)
13. More to come...

Now, I know I have missed something, so please feel free to add any suggestions, or even add your list of things you would want on your recovery vehicle. Tell me things you have seen on other recovery vehicles. Also, any suggestions on bumpers, wenches, roof racks, lightbars, and other upgrades would be appreciated. Thanks guys in advance.

This is what I already have:
1988 XJ Laredo
3 1/2 lift
32" swampers
stock rims
rock sliders
CB radio

Also on a side note, I am trying to find the tutorial about using your stock antenna mount as a CB antenna mount, but after reading it the first time, I can't seem to find it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as well...

You have 3 1/2" lift right now and run 32's, but in order to step up 1" tire size you plan on running 2 1/2" more lift height? If you are planning on going 6", step up to 35's.

What are your plans for gears/lockers/axles?

Don't really see the need for 2 highlift jacks.

Other than that, sounds like a regular trail rig.

I often thought a M715 would be real cool as a recovery rig.

Put a wrecker boom in the bed and have a wrecker on say 38 inch tires for those days you need to go get your XJ or any other rig for that matter.

a duece and a half with a wrecker crane arm on it. then you can tow your rig wherever you want and you know damn well you can not only get it out of any spot but you can put it on the back and bring it on the duece so you dont have to work on it on the trail.

100dollarman rigs would easily do this and he sells them for 6500$ or something in that range.

Ummm... why not put a winch on your xj? then you won't even need a recovery vehicle. I also don't see the need for two hi-lift jacks. come to think of it, everything you mentioned you want with your recovery vehicle you could put with your xj. if you're wanting a rig just for recovery, it sounds like you plan on getting stuck a lot. i say upgrade your axles and get a locker or two then focus on a tow rig rather than a recovery rig.

a duece and a half with a wrecker crane arm on it. then you can tow your rig wherever you want and you know damn well you can not only get it out of any spot but you can put it on the back and bring it on the duece so you dont have to work on it on the trail.

100dollarman rigs would easily do this and he sells them for 6500$ or something in that range.
X2, though around here in the northeast, that deuce won't fit down a lot of trails you'd get stuck on.

I picked up a 5 ton (M54A2) for mostly the same reason - haul spare parts, and also so I can thrash the jeep without worrying about having to pay for a tow home. Most of the way done building some ramps to allow me to simply drive (or haul) the XJ into the back and head home.

X2, though around here in the northeast, that deuce won't fit down a lot of trails you'd get stuck on.

I picked up a 5 ton (M54A2) for mostly the same reason - haul spare parts, and also so I can thrash the jeep without worrying about having to pay for a tow home. Most of the way done building some ramps to allow me to simply drive (or haul) the XJ into the back and head home.

Yeah same case around here. Full width on a little YJ is too big for most trails. A lot of guys around here run Zuk Samurais or Trackers to fit.

Btw you stole my idea of the M54 you asshole:flame: :laugh3:

Whats sweet about that idea(and why Im going with it too) is that you can have your rig in the rear and tow a camper behind. also with the M54 you can make it a crew cab and still fit your vehicle in the rear.

One of these would be perfect:

http://100dollarman.com/trucks.html

Ummm... why not put a winch on your xj? then you won't even need a recovery vehicle. I also don't see the need for two hi-lift jacks. come to think of it, everything you mentioned you want with your recovery vehicle you could put with your xj. if you're wanting a rig just for recovery, it sounds like you plan on getting stuck a lot. i say upgrade your axles and get a locker or two then focus on a tow rig rather than a recovery rig.

I think he means he wants to turn his XJ into a recovery vehicle.

@bosco01xj: That's the plan. My Jeep WILL be the recovery vehicle. I will be recovering other peoples rides, not my own.

@AshyLarry: Going over $5k is fine for everything, what I was trying to get across was not to suggest a single $5k upgrade.

@4.3LXJ: The compressor was a given, and I am putting a welder on it, just don't know what type just yet...

@Begster: the 32's are rubbing way to much for comfort, and from what i have read, 33's require 5 1/2 inches of lift to clear. Plus 33's are cheaper then 35's. That extra inch of clearance is not worth the extra price. I want to go with 44's but if the opportunity arises I would love to put 60's on it. Now I know I probably won't get to put 60's on it but it's nice to dream.

As for performance, I plan on doing the budget stroker upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions for bumpers, roof racks, and light bars?

I am clearing 33s with 3.5" of lift. Could do it with way less if I bumpstopped more in the front, actually put bumpstops in the back, or trimmed more.

All depends on how much you care about trimming. I didn't trim much and can still put my stock fenders back on if I want to. Personally I can't stand the way it looks when someone lifts a lot solely to avoid trimming, the wheel wells no longer match the tires.

Id look into some real heavy springs for the back - with a welder, compressor, and all that other stuff back there you're going to want them. Figure out how much stiffer you need by weighing the gear you have.

@bosco01xj: That's the plan. My Jeep WILL be the recovery vehicle. I will be recovering other peoples rides, not my own.

@AshyLarry: Going over $5k is fine for everything, what I was trying to get across was not to suggest a single $5k upgrade.

@4.3LXJ: The compressor was a given, and I am putting a welder on it, just don't know what type just yet...

@Begster: the 32's are rubbing way to much for comfort, and from what i have read, 33's require 5 1/2 inches of lift to clear. Plus 33's are cheaper then 35's. That extra inch of clearance is not worth the extra price. I want to go with 44's but if the opportunity arises I would love to put 60's on it. Now I know I probably won't get to put 60's on it but it's nice to dream.

As for performance, I plan on doing the budget stroker upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions for bumpers, roof racks, and light bars?
I have 33s at 5.5" with very trimmed fenders and with bumpstopping, I could fit 37s. You don't need to go real high to get 33s. Like kastein said, it just takes trimming and bumpstopping. Look up ktm_racer

Anyone have any suggestions for bumpers, roof racks, and light bars?

When I priced my plans out, I found that JCR and AJ's Offroad had the best appealing bumpers for me. I'll most likely be running JCR's hoop-winch front bumper and AJ's "tanker" tire carrier rear. As for racks, I've owned both Garvin's Wilderness and Kargo Master. Garvin's is much better quality, but comes at a higher $$$

Definatelly look into a rack that attaches to the gutters...more sturdy and you can get racks in bigger sizes that way depending on the company

I am clearing 33s with 3.5" of lift. Could do it with way less if I bumpstopped more in the front, actually put bumpstops in the back, or trimmed more.

All depends on how much you care about trimming. I didn't trim much and can still put my stock fenders back on if I want to. Personally I can't stand the way it looks when someone lifts a lot solely to avoid trimming, the wheel wells no longer match the tires.

Id look into some real heavy springs for the back - with a welder, compressor, and all that other stuff back there you're going to want them. Figure out how much stiffer you need by weighing the gear you have.

I am at 5" and 33 and don't rub at all but iI don't have bump stops.

As for the leafs, I carry about 400 extra lbs in the back of my XJ daily. Because of that I have added a few stock leaves into my pack, it now has 8 leaves in it. It does awesome on the trail and rides pretty good.

Back