• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep died, then started, not firing on all 6 now

k.allen90

NAXJA Forum User
1989 xj, I6 out of a newer jeep (no clue what year), 230,000 miles on dash

Today I was out on some trails and I went through a puddle (water only came up to just below the floor boards) went through it just fine, no overheating, oil pressure was good, etc. Came out of the puddle and the jeep just cut off. Tried to start it back up and it just turned and turned. So I let it sit for about 10 minutes, popped the hood and noticed that around the valve cover? ( cover on top where you add oil at) there were bubbles coming out where it seats and it was making a sound like high pressure water going through a small hole. The sound of jeep also changed, it sounds like it has a miss and it kind of has putt putt sound. I've looked all through my haynes manuel and can't find what I think I should be looking for. I don't really know what I'm looking for either though. Any clues as to what could be wrong. Talked to my brother and he said maybe blown head gasket. I planned on rebuilding the motor next year after I get back from deployment, so its not a big deal. I'd just like to know what I'm dealing with and I might possibly start a rebuild earlier then I have planed. Thanks.

You may have steam broiled the wiring for the o2 and crank sensors.

You may have filled the distributor with water.

You may have knocked out the charging system.

Doesn't sound like you were deep enough but you may have sucked water into the intake and hydro-locked the engine.

Check the crank case for water/coolant contamination, if it is drain it and put in fresh cheap oil to keep from damaging the bearings and races.

Pull all the spark plugs and inspect them. Crank the engine over with the plugs out to see if you are pumping coolant.

Post up what you find.

started the jeep up on my lunch brake and it ran fine, nothing wrong, even did what you had said to do. Took it to my buddies house and he thinks maybe something got wet and caused to it happen, put the hose on the motor same thing. So does that mean water is getting into the motor somewhere and causing it to do this? Its not a big deal, motor is bout to come out for a rebuild but at the same time I'd like to know what is wrong with it for future reference.

Probably something pretty open to water intrusion or possibly an intake/vacuum leak sucking water.

When you pull the engine would be a great time to go through the engine bay and clean all harness connections and treat them with dielectric grease.

Good luck.

Probably something pretty open to water intrusion or possibly an intake/vacuum leak sucking water.

When you pull the engine would be a great time to go through the engine bay and clean all harness connections and treat them with dielectric grease.

Good luck.

X2 I did that on all my sensor connections and it was amazing how much smoother it ran afterwards.

X2 I did that on all my sensor connections and it was amazing how much smoother it ran afterwards.

I've done the same on both of my Renix Jeeps. Takes about 15 minutes to disconnect everything one at a time, flush with a good contact cleaner, visually inspect, add dielectric grease and plug backi in. Some of those connections were pretty dirty aftor over 20 years. I feel it's a good investment in time to save yourself problems down the road.

Back