• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3in lift driveshaft noise

xjnewbe

NAXJA Forum User
Well i got my lift and tires done, and with the 3in block in the rear my driveshaft is making a bad noise when i slow down, and the harder i hit the brakes the worse it gets. i havent checked it yet, but i am hoping its maybe u joints??? or maybe need to lower crossmember?? any ideas?

Well i got my lift and tires done, and with the 3in block in the rear my driveshaft is making a bad noise when i slow down

This is the problem, lift blocks in the rear of a XJ is bad news. The springs are already weak so with the extra leverage that the axle has on the springs from the blocks, you are rolling your axle rearward as you apply the brakes and pulling your DS further away from the T-case. This is a dangerous situation and you could "spit" the DS on a panic braking situation, this could cause the DS to dig in the road bed and flip your Jeep.

Lowering the T-case could help but it will not eliminate the problem.

well i did drop the crosmember about 3/4 of an inch and all the noise went away, but i am going to order the shackles and pull the blocks out, thanks

Good move. Lift blocks are no bueno at all. Axle wrap is not your friend

Back