• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Watchout for after-market radiator overflow bottle on pressurized systems

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Watchout for the after-market radiator overflow bottle on pressurized cooling systems used on 4.0 Jeeps prior to somewhere around 1991.

I don't know where the bottle I have has come from but I suspect they are all the same. The cap on the bottle does not have continuous internal threads but has 4 groups of threads and 4 reliefs for overflow to exit from the cap pressure regulator. Unfortunately these reliefs allow the cap to flex. If the cap is tightened strongly the 4 groups of threads will slip over the bottle threads.

The problem is this: The cap can be tightened to a torque that seems reasonable and one that does not allow radiator fluid to pass under the cap seal. This is to say that the cap can be put on in the normal way.

BUT... when the engine is run at first things seem OK. The cap seems to hold radiator pressure OK. But as the bottle and the cap heat the cap plastic softens and POP! the cap slips on the threads and now it's one complete turn loose. All the radiator fluid will escape and if you are not watching the temperature gauge like a hawk the engine will in just a few seconds overheat to it's death. Don't ask me how I know.

The fix is to tighten the cap acceptably, THEN place a hose clamp around the cap and tighten. The hose clamp being metal will reinforce the cap so even if it softens a little it can't slip over the threads.

Or I suppose you could purchase the bottle from the Jeep dealer, for $90+ for the bottle and $25 for the cap. I've called the dealer recently on a couple of items and it seems their prices have skyrocketed. Maybe the new owners? Also I suspect, without proof, that the dealer parts are simply re-marked parts from Pep Boys.

The after-market cap I have, and the one that I purchased from the dealer, were both plastic, felt like high density polyethylene like the bottle. Both had the problem. Someone help me out here: I vaguely remember the caps being a bakealite (sp?) or some really hard plastic. Anyone have a 20 year old cap to examine? What's an original cap made from?

Last edited:
mhead said:
Or I suppose you could purchase the bottle from the Jeep dealer, for $90+ for the bottle and $25 for the cap. I've called the dealer recently on a couple of items and it seems their prices have skyrocketed. Maybe the new owners? Also I suspect, without proof, that the dealer parts are simply re-marked parts from Pep Boys.

Two options to avoid this entirely:

- Convert to the later closed cooling system

- Replace the OEM coolant overflow bottle with one for a Volvo 240.

For some reason the Volvo bottles are (or at least were, the last time I had to look) cheaper, better-made, and still fit in the stock location.

Or just use the cap from the mid eighties 700 series Volvos with the 2.3 L engine. Stant number 10244. It will seal on any bottle without "stripping", it is lower profile so it won't be impacting the underside of the hood when the bottle expands and that will reduce pre-mature bottle failure from stress cracks, and it has a slightly higher pressure rating--22 psi I believe--and that will raise the boiling point of the coolant. That is WIN-WIN-WIN. This mod has been used by many on here for a number of years.

The problem is just the cap, isn't it?

I got a bad one at advance, lasted three days before it started leaking. When I tried to tighten it, it blew off in my hand.

So I got two more from oreillys, same price, same part number.

One was kinda squared off, and nice and solid.

The other was just like the one that blew on me: more rounded, and you could squeeze it out of round in your hand.

Looking close, the label on the good one had "Made in Germany" at the bottom.

The weak one? "Made in China" of course. Same brand, same box. Same part number, same price, different part.

Different quality.

Robert

picture.php
Heres a pic of the volvo cap
picture.php
picture.php
What do you think of this as a replacement tank? It's in a Ford Crown Vic or Town Car.

Mine is converted to an open cooling system. with an electric fan on a switch, and lebaron hood vents. Will never ever deal with closed cooling systems again.. I'm sick of them

yes I convert all the ones i pick up to that of a 95. I have also done the triple threat fan kit to my 88 and its the XXXX.

I am using an empty 1 gallon windshield washer bottle and stant cap on my 88. I removed the mech fan and installed a subaru A/C fan in it's place. It is on when the ign is on. The stock electric fan cycles on just about the same duty cycle as it did when I had the mech fan.
This systems works great

The caps that come on the new bottles aren't worth using once. The auto-stoned replacement is slightly better.

I get my caps at the junkyard now, much better quality.

grump out...

Or just use the cap from the mid eighties 700 series Volvos with the 2.3 L engine. Stant number 10244. It will seal on any bottle without "stripping", it is lower profile so it won't be impacting the underside of the hood when the bottle expands and that will reduce pre-mature bottle failure from stress cracks, and it has a slightly higher pressure rating--22 psi I believe--and that will raise the boiling point of the coolant. That is WIN-WIN-WIN. This mod has been used by many on here for a number of years.

I stopped by the local Autostoned today to pick up a Stant 10244, and this is what I found when I got home and compared it to the OEM cap:

2ro2ark.jpg

1554doi.jpg

The one pictured above was their equivalent to the Stant (CST brand). Should it have the 4 thread gaps/pressure relief gaps, or should I bite the bullet and order one direct from Stant. I normally don't shop at Autostoned, but it was the only parts store in town that had one in stock.

Thanks in advance.

This is my Stant, made in Germany:

14-09-10_1623.jpg

Mine is converted to an open cooling system. with an electric fan on a switch, and lebaron hood vents. Will never ever deal with closed cooling systems again.. I'm sick of them
just convert...... lady gaga did.
as for the stant cap. DO IT! same price as all the other caps vato zone will sell you. as soon as you screw on the stant cap you will feel the difference in quality..

The one I got from Napa looks like the one Joe's holding in the photo. Fingernails are kinda clean, Joe. Spending too much time on the keyboard and ignoring the Jeep?

Gloves to protect my tender phalanges!

Kind of developed a reaction to some chemicals.

Please note how nicely trimmed they are.

Back