• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odometer reading "no bus"

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
So a couple days ago (a few days after installing a new 35T speedometer gear) I started my 99 xj 4.0 ax-15 and drove a couple miles. While I was driving I noticed for a split second my tach dropped to zero! I looked at my buddy and said, "look my tach isn't working!" (my spedo was though) a couple seconds later it kicks in and all is well. Today however, while I was driving on the freeway to work, my tach dropped to 0 as well as my spedo! seconds later my check engine light comes on and the odometer reads "no bus" :shocked: I pull over, turn off the engine, restart the jeep and all is well. No more check engine light and the gauges worked as they should. So now i'm wondering if these are the pre-stages to something really bad about to happen. Is my PCM failing? computer shorting out? or just those electrical ghosts and/or notorious "electrical glitches" our xj's have? Feel free to enlighten me! Thanks in advance!

And Joe, since you are usually the first to post on my oem tech problems, let me know what you think! ha :wave:

-Nick

Last edited:
i had that same problem it was a bad conection on the back of insterment cluster where large harness plugs in some dieletric grease is all i needed

the "no bus" simply means your instrument cluster is losing communication with the PCM. You can try to clean the connection on the back of cluster, but it's a pretty common issue & may only last temporarily.

i had that same problem it was a bad conection on the back of insterment cluster where large harness plugs in some dieletric grease is all i needed

hmmm that very well could be the problem. About a year ago I replaced all my interior lights included the gauge lights with white led's and had to remove the cluster to do so. Ill check it out. Anyone else have any other ideas?

the "no bus" simply means your instrument cluster is losing communication with the PCM. You can try to clean the connection on the back of cluster, but it's a pretty common issue & may only last temporarily.

Well since both of you think it's the connection at the back of the instrument cluster, I'm inclined to believe you! I'll check it out when I get off work. :cheers:

search, its been covered at least 200 times. there was also a recall on the connector, there is an updated one available that helps correct the problem.

Sounds like everybody has pretty much covered it.

The one extra thing I like to do when the instrument cluster is out is to tug on the harness to try and get a little slack into it to relieve strain on the connector--something 1/2" of additional wiring in that part of the harness would have done in the first place--cheap is cheap, but you shouldn't go so cheap it costs you more in the end.

Good luck.

search, its been covered at least 200 times. there was also a recall on the connector, there is an updated one available that helps correct the problem.

ha type, "no bus" in the search bar and click search titles only. Tell me how many threads you see lol. The only reason I started a new thread was because there was no threads with the title of no bus. But thanks for the info on the recall! When was that released? if it was before the last two years is there a way to see if it's already been done to mine? maybe if I call the dealer and give them the vin they could look it up?

ha type, "no bus" in the search bar and click search titles only. Tell me how many threads you see lol. The only reason I started a new thread was because there was no threads with the title of no bus. But thanks for the info on the recall! When was that released? if it was before the last two years is there a way to see if it's already been done to mine? maybe if I call the dealer and give them the vin they could look it up?

I just typed in odometer no bus and found this one! guess you were right Grimm! :D

Check with the dealer, they can look up your VIN for recalls.

"NO: 08-15-99
SUBJECT: Erratic, Intermittent Cluster Operation/Intermittent Air Bag Warning light.
DATE: May 21, 1999
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER 08-20-98 REV. A, DATED OCTOBER 2, 1998, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES AND NOTED IN THE BOUND TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN BOOK, PUBLICATION NUMBER 81-699-99003. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION TO THE PROCEDURE."

your the man joe!

right on, thanks!

How do you know if you have the updated one or not? Do the updated connectors look any different? The Jeep recall website says doesn't say I have any outstanding recalls but I still get the no bus occasionally. Here's some info I wrote a while back for another forum.

From what I've read, this is what I've gleaned:

If it won't start, your crank position sensor is bad.

If it will start, your gauge cluster is loose or the contacts are dirty. The gauge cluster uses two cartridge-style connectors that can come loose or get dirty. Try pressing in on the clear front of the gauge cluster. If it's loose, sometimes pressing in on it is enough to reseat the connectors.

If that doesn't work, it may be necessary to remove the cluster and clean the contacts.

Pull from the bottom on the center bezel. It's held in with clips and just pops out.

After that, take out the four screws that hold the upper dash in.
nobus2.jpg

Take out the 3 screws at the bottom of the lower panel under the steering column.
nobus3.jpg

You can then pull the lower panel off by hand. It's held in with clips like the center bezel.

Now pull off the upper dash. It's held in with clips. The two parts that will be difficult are getting the headlight switch through the hole in the dash and getting the rubber collar off from behind the steering column. The rubber collar fastens in the bottom. Take it loose and pull it out from around the plastic cover.

nobus4.jpg

I removed mine completely because it was a pain in the ***. I also slightly enlarged the hole in the dash for the headlight switch to make future repairs and mods easier.

Once you have the dash off, there will be 4 screws holding in the gauge cluster. Take them out and the gauge will just pop out. From there, it will be obvious what connectors to clean.

Last edited:
Back