• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 8.8 locker problems

5-Speed XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 8.8 in my xj swapped like 2 weeks
thumbs.gif
ago i put a Aussie in it and now after like a week i wheeled it last night and there's something wrong with the locker.
mad.gif

1. i no its supposed to click but it slams over and over again in a straight line like its not engaging
confused.gif

2. it sounds like its coasting and not engaging on the throttle and can make a left turn with out any noise but turn right and its a pain

is it possible that the springs came out or that the locker after a week is out of spec this is my first locker and now it looks like i should have just welded it
brickwall.gif

and feedback is very appreciated.

Adam

What are your clearance measurements? Did you check the carrier bearings before you put in the locker? Was there are play where the center pin goes through the case? What condition were the thrust washers in, did you put them back in correctly?

I put a new cross shaft in the carrier bearings are brand new with the rest of the bearings. I went through the whole thing thrust washers were worn but not bad and they were put on the side they came from and the case tolerances checked out fine.

What were the measurements? How close to the limits were they? Was there any difference between them either side to side or from top to bottom on the center pin and between the couplers, no play or slop at all? The pin fit tight in the carrier bore? The problem your describing is usually the result of being out of spec on one side or not meshing squarely. These measurement numbers are the key to solving your problem. You did install the pins and springs in the proper order and in the right places? They do alternate from side to side on each hole.

Well that totally sucks! Did you figure out what went wrong?

Was this a used locker? I don't see how you could get so much wear in 2 weeks?

Back