• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

30 spline D30 worth it?

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I have no desire to go changing the unit bearings...I have the Vanco brakes and knuckles up front...I can't do the gears and carrier on my own and I don't want some shop trying to get the rotors to fit, anyway, a 27 spline kit would be easy, but if I'm going there I might as well spring for the 30 spline inner axels...throw together a 27/30, inner/outer setup?

Only problem with that is that you can't use stock spares, so if/when you break it'll be an expensive break.

Worth it?
Nope.

Wanna drop big money in an axle, use an axle worth running.

I have no desire to go changing the unit bearings...I have the Vanco brakes and knuckles up front...I can't do the gears and carrier on my own and I don't want some shop trying to get the rotors to fit, anyway, a 27 spline kit would be easy, but if I'm going there I might as well spring for the 30 spline inner axels...throw together a 27/30, inner/outer setup?

What tire size are you running? Planning on going bigger? What's your driving style and vehicle use?

What tire size are you running? Planning on going bigger? What's your driving style and vehicle use?

Doesn't really matter.... dumping money into an axle is dumping money into an axle. May as well use an axle that's worth dumping money into. You can upgrade your D30 with 100 spline shafts made of superindestructableunobtanium but you'll still have weak gears.

Use a 44 or bigger, you'll probably spend about the same amount of money give or take, and you won't have to worry about breakage up to 35-37s depending on your wheeling style/terrain.

Doesn't really matter.... dumping money into an axle is dumping money into an axle. May as well use an axle that's worth dumping money into. You can upgrade your D30 with 100 spline shafts made of superindestructableunobtanium but you'll still have weak gears.

Use a 44 or bigger, you'll probably spend about the same amount of money give or take, and you won't have to worry about breakage up to 35-37s depending on your wheeling style/terrain.

Yeah, we know...we've heard your opinion. ;)

33, no, more agressive than grandma, sand and mud.

I need a D44 rear before I do anything crazy up front, I also put some decent time and money into a brake upgrade up front...I'm gearing up for a D44 rear build and am going to go to 4.10 gears, if I change gears I'm going to lock it, and if I lock it I NEED new shafts...my stock shafts have begun to rust through and I wouldn't trust them under the stress of a locker even in sand...

Last edited:
Stock shafts with Spicer 760's and call it done. When you go alloys your ring and pinion become your weak point. I'd rather break a $20 stock shaft then destroy my gears.

Ten Factory or Nitro 27 spline alloys with full circle clip Spicer 760 joints. Done.

Yeah, concur. Pretty much any alloy shaft with full circle clips and 760 joints will do the job (I prefer Superior's domestic Evolution (lifetime warranty) or import Discovery (10 year warranty) series). 30 spline isn't necessary but hey, it's your $$. I really don't think you'll risk breaking ring and pinion as long as you're not stupid aggressive and use quality parts/installation.

I wouldn't touch upgraded shafts unless you have a full case locker.

I've seen several stock carriers get annihilated with lockrites on 35s and stock axleshafts that would make me want to stay away from alloys.

This is coming from someone wheeling in the Northeast (aka same terrain as you).

Longfields, I have them, love 'em. I recommend a full case locker or LS, that will be the weak link

It would be an ARB, OBA is already set up.

OP, I went through the same dilemma as you a few months ago and ended up with 27-spline for two reasons. 1, when you start upgrading to the heavier duty 30-spline, you make the R&P the weak link rather than the axles. 2, you can use your old stock axles as spares/availability of spares. I run a 31" tire though, so it may be different for you with 33's. There's a pretty good writeup by CRASH that you may want to read: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70422

Only problem with that is that you can't use stock spares, so if/when you break it'll be an expensive break.

You can use Rubi/TJ Dana 44/30 stock 30-spline shafts.

Besides... the fuse will be the pinion gear anyway... right? So, no need to have spare shafts!! :D

You can use Rubi/TJ Dana 44/30 stock 30-spline shafts.

Besides... the fuse will be the pinion gear anyway... right? So, no need to have spare shafts!! :D

true, but how easy are those to come by? and yeah just bring a spare ring and pinion from now on :thumbup:

Back