• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new xj owner

slamin81

NAXJA Forum User
i had an ole 79 ford that i traded for this 1989 cherokee laredo, shes got a 4.0 automatic just got it today, seems to run good no major issues,it needs steering column fixed and a blower motor for the heater,couple q's i hope you guys can help me with, what type axles has it got under it, and when driving it goin over bumps and things like that, it feels like something is hitting the floor,kinda like a tranny mount broke, but i looked and it seems pretty solid any advice on what it might be. what is the switch on the left used for.. thanks guys...

NewImage.jpg

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgg.jpg

Welcome to NAXJA!

Ok, you will have a D30 or D30 CAD axle in front. The D30 CAD has a two-piece passenger side axle with a vacuum motor to connect the two for 4wd.

You will have the D30 CAD axle if you have the NP231 Part-Time Command Trac transfer case--on the shifting bezel you would have 2wd/4hi/N/4lo--and no 4 Full Time option. If you have the 4 Full Time option then your transfer case is a NP242 and your front axle is the non-disconnect D30.

Your rear axle is MOST likely a D35.

OEM with the AW4--Aisin Warner 4--transmission your gear ratio would be 3:55.

The switch is the "Power/Comfort" shift option--comfort is mushy, most leave it in the "Power" position, it was eliminated on later XJs.

Check your engine mounts and the brackets that bolt to the engine will loose/shear off their mounting bolts so inspect them too. You should check the transmission mount. It is NOT supposed to have any movement--put a jack with a block of wood under the transmission and jack it up a little--there should be almost no movement of the transmission that is not immediately transmitted to the crossmember.

Might be a loose exhaust system impacting the floor--things are a little close under there.

Good luck.

Back